1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just bought used viking now what?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rgerdts, Apr 5, 2004.

1. rgerdts

rgerdts LawnSite Member

I just picked up a used 48 viking hydro. It seems to be in very good shape. What wear points should I be concerned about?
    The hydro filter looks like it's been there awhile. Everything else seems tight.

This type of mower is a first for me. Hope to get a hang of running it without mowing over something I shouldn't. I bought this mower to replace my old grasshopper 12hp 42" deck zero turn for around the house mowing.

I have a 2 acre rc airfield to mow also. I'm not sure this mower could mow that area in a timely manner. I will need a sulky to try. I cannot keep up with it for that long of a period.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Congratulations! I'd recommend a hydro filter and hydro oil change as well as engine oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter and spark plug to start with. I'd also make sure and grease every zerk on the machine good. After that I'd look at belts, spindles and tires.

Let me know if you have any questions or give us a call at 800-667-5296.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to grease the zerk fitting on the idler for the hydro belt. I have a 36" Viking, but I suppose the traction unit is the same. I bought mine seven years ago, but missed that fitting the first season. Finally, I had a problem when the idler arm got moved, but wouldn't retract with the spring. I learned that the bearing was frozen with dirt. A complete disassembly and cleaning restored it to good order. The zerk can be missed.

Also, there is a zerk on the crank arm for the deck drive. The zerk is very difficult to reach and it too can be easily missed. I have never seen mine, only felt it -- ha! The only way I've found to grease it is to take off the deck drive idler pulley, pull away the blet, put a flexible hose on my grease gun, and "feel" it into position. I do this one time per season!

Your 48" deck may have a different deck drive configuration, so my procedure of taking off the idler may not apply in your case.

Why was this design ever allowed out the manufacturing door?
  4. eXmark

That lower bell crank should have a 90 degree fitting on it.

Here's how I go about it. First I remove the belt shield. Then as I recall I can use a non-flexible grease gun to access the grease zerk. If I recall correctly I leave the blades disengaged which places the zerk up near the bottom of the engine deck. That way I can use the frame as a guide to the zerk.

Check it out.........I may be confused again.

5. rgerdts

rgerdts LawnSite Member

I found the deck drive zerk. Looks like the previous owner never greased it. Or the hydro idler arm either. Looks like I need a new hydro belt too.

I mowed with it for the first time the other day. It's going to take some getting use to. I didn't mow over any plants but I almost did! Several times..

I'm still not sure if I will like this type of mower or not.

I also have a large open area to mow. I'm trying to find a sulky. Will have to keep looking for one.

B]Also email exmark about manual for the mower. It wasn't a serial number listed on there site.

Lenny mailed me one Thank's Lenny. got it in two days!![/B]
  6. eXmark

The secret to to getting along with the hydro is to RELAX. If you relax and drive the mower with your hands you'll love it. If you are intimidated by it (just about everyone is the first time the grab a hold of one) you are more likely to tense up and try to "man handle" it.

I'm guessing that when you nearly ran over the plans you first tried to muscle the mower back or away to make a turn.............99% of us do until we get accustomed to driving with our hands. I generally start guys out around speed 2 at idle then work my way up to 1/2 throttle and then bull throttle. Once they can do that without taking out the shrubs or the family pet I let them turn the blades on an mow................just a thought.

Please let us know if you have any questions. You can also give us a call at 800-667-5296.