Just breaking in. Question about seeding job.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Deep Green, May 6, 2004.

1. Deep Green

Deep Green LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hi, all. I've been reading for a while now and getting really good info here. I put a fescue lawn in my front last fall that is very thick and green. My nextdoor neighbor asked me to redo her front yard, and I subsequently got a job in a different community doing the back yard. My approach was Roundup, close mow, rake out debris, till, add amendmants, till again, grade, seed and water. Now, it's the watering that I have a question about. I agreed to keep the seed beds moist until germination. The house nextdoor is no problem, as it's right nextdoor, but the other house is about 3-1/2 miles away and sitting in full sun. I have to shoot over there two, sometimes three, times a day to water it. Is it standard practice for turf installers to keep the seed bed moist, or does this responsibility fall on the homeowner?
  2. roadhawg3

roadhawg3 LawnSite Member

I recently had a job like that also, but I had to haul in top soil and then seed it, but I told them they had to do the watering, as I am much to busy to do it, and it has been very dry here, we havent had much rain, but I did drive by there the other day and the grass is looking good. the guy wanted me to use a Bahai and Rye grass mix. So I woulld say that its up to the homeowner to take care of the watering.
  3. I write in my proposal to do the work that it's the homeowner's responsibility to maintain adequate moisture not only for germination but until the lawn is established, and I read this line to them before I hand them the proposal to sign.
  4. Deep Green

from Atlanta

That's just what I had in mind from here on out. There's no way I could keep a sed bed moist once I start getting accounts on the other side of town. Thanks for the input.
  5. allaccesslandscaping

allaccesslandscaping LawnSite Member

night mare from hell I will never do sees again.. Did a couple of jobs for customer the seed way ........man let me tell ya ...its not worth the headache.........And I did it textbook perfect.......Always lay down sod unless customer already have lawn estblish
  6. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Do seed installs several times a summer. No problem with new seed beds, I include setting up portable sprinkling system on each job(cost is included in price). Unit is removed after 1 month and then customer is responsible. I currently have enough equipment to set up 7-8 systems....Chuck
  7. mjoaaa

mjoaaa LawnSite Member

Customers should be responsible for watering. If you sell the deal from the get go as a team thing you won't have a problem with this:

Mr. Smith I am glad to hear your have choosen my company to perform the seed job, but there is one thing I want you to really understand. (what) In seeding your lawn we have to work as a team to maximize our benefits. I will promise to the take the time to do a quality job on the labor but I need you to promise me that you will water 15 minutes a day per zone. Sound fair enough!
  8. Deep Green

from Atlanta

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll have to change my approach on the next installation and the homeowner in on the action. This is all still quite new to me.