Just can't do it

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rhinox29, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

Today I was handing out some flyers in a new development and noticed hanging on a door was another LCO's flyer. I took a peek at it and at the bottom it said your lawns service will be $50.00 a month. Now this was a yard that would take me and my dad about 25 minutes to do it right. I just can't compete with that type of pricing:dizzy: . Does this seem low to anyone else? Oh and yes I left the flyer on the door beside mine.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Very low especially if this guy does full service and does a good job. Best thing you can do is stick to your prices, dont even try to compete with a moron like that. Found a flyer at one of my properties as well, it said "support two college kids" ladiedadada. Also said most lawns 60/month as well as we use new equipment. LOL, since when does new equipment matter.

3. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

you sure it wasnt $50 a cut?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Words of wisdom from an old man is never worry about other folks'es business...
    I don't know what his service is, that 50-dollar service could be for fertilizing, also he might be using a loss leader or a fake leader.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what a normal price there would be...but a lot of people are leery of TOO low of a price...there's always those that will go with the cheapest but a lot of folks will wonder what the catch is, or if the guy is fly-by-night. So I would just stick your flyer on those doors.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Saw some $50 flyers around here....... at the bottom it was based on 26 cuts/yr:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    South FL, irrigated, Floratam grass..... not a chance of that working.

If it gets people on the phone and ready for an upsell to weekly service, maybe it's not so bad.

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

And you don't want those types of customers anyway - there'll always be someone cheaper than you.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Make a flyer that says--" BETTER CUTTIN THAT THE OTHER GUY-- ONLY 55 A MONTH"---:laugh:

J/K-- Sell your business and service and don't worry about anybody else. There are a lot of people that want what you offer-- as there are wanting what the other guy does. Sell what you do to your customers.

9. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

ok...here's a good one...

I just put a picture of me on my flyer and they won't quit calling...I can even charge as much as I want...CUZ I'M SO PRETTY!

p.s. I would show you what I am talking about but my camera is not working for some reason. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You have a good start at things. Just do the best job you can and take care of your gear and you will be fine.

10. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

It is probably a bi-weekly price and maybe even $50 a month for 12 months. Just taking $600 over the mowing season and breaking it out to 12 monthly payments. You never know. Just stick to your pricing or get creative yourself in your marketing.