just cant kill it .

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by befnme, Apr 1, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

guys i am trying to kill sedge . i have tried atrazine ( blanket cover ),then image ( spot treat ) .it dosent work . i have some trimec think that will do it . also i did this on dormant centipede but now it is starting ( sparcely ) to green up .too much stress ? should i wait until total green up and try again or try again now ?

2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

manage from lesco, renomed as sedgehammer.

3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure it's sedge? I've never seen sedge growing this time of year. It might be poa travalis.

4. befnme

ok , now, is it safe to spray again so soon ?

5. kishk

kishk LawnSite Member

I agree with ProLawns. It’s too early to be seeing sedge however, you cant always predict nature. If it is Annual bluegrass (Poa annua) and rough bluegrass (Poa trivialis) which should be flourishing in NC now -Roundup should easily rid these weeds.
    I also have great success with Manage (spiked with Dawn liquid soap) by Monsanto to rid lawns of sedge although, it required a second application the following year as the sedge slowly dies off. The reason - large nodules of the sedge will survive and come up next season. Also tell the homeowner to avoid sedge, you need to water long and early less frequently to avoid sedge and maintain proper drainage.
    PS sedge dies very slowly and requires surfactant (soap) to penetrate its thick waxy coat and other grasses and weeds are affected much sooner by the chemicals you are using (atrazine). Step back and be patient and use the right chemical and amount for the job. Manage will work on sedge. Methanearsonate (Crab grass killer) and altrazine requires large amounts to kill sedge and will kill everything else in your lawn. Avoid them Both for sedge.

6. befnme

HERE ARE A FEW PICS , sorry , dang caps .

7. befnme

8. befnme

9. kishk

kishk LawnSite Member

It is difficult to make an identification of grassy weeds from a picture of the leaf blade and some plants going through premature seeding. To make a 100 % identification I will need to see the autonomy of each grass. However,
    I believe you have mainly bluegrass and dalligrass infestation. Kill everything with roundup, rototill and re-seed or this is the route I would take - use a pre-emergent early spring (halts and crabgrass preventer) a little too late for you and overseed in late summer fertilize to keep wanted grass strong and repeat until your turf is strong. Blahh blahh blahh aerate and thatch. Good luck!

Attached Files:

• pic1.BMP
      File size:
      88.3 KB
      Views:
    • pic2.BMP
      File size:
      492.5 KB
      Views:
  10. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

that looks like some kind of bluegrass, sedge doesnt clump quite like that...that is if Im see'in what i think im see'in