Just changed Hydro fluid on Super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, May 29, 2005.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

My Hustler Super Z has 493 hrs on it so I thought today would be a good time to change the Hydo fluid and filter. It was a joy to work on a machine that was engineered correctly. By that, I mean that the filter was easily accessable and so was the drainplug for the hydro reservoir. I didn't have to remove any belts or tension arms and the fluid didn't drip and run all over the frame as it has with other machines I've owned. Hustler is definitely doing things right!

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You got that right Ed. I've changed mine twice already and it's a snap. Almost as easy as changing the oil.

Did you remember to add the Lubrizol? Expensive stuff but it does wonders for the hydro system.

3. r8derman

r8derman LawnSite Member

Just wondering if I'll have a problem w/ my hydralics later after changing the filter . Will it get air in the lines and shudder? You Hustler guys can probably tell me about this. I love my Z. It is a gret machine. Thanks fellows.

Hustler 44 in. Super-Mini Z w/ Kawasaki 23hp - mulch kit w/ Gator blades
    John Deere Commercial 48 in. walk-behind
    Honda Harmony II
    Redmax stick edger
    3 Stihl BR400 Backpacks
    Stihl commercial straight trimmer
    6 X 12 trailer
    2003 Dodge 1500 - (That thing got a Hemi???) Hell yeah it does.

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

This is the first time you have changed the fluid and you are over 400 hours? Is that what was recomended by the owners manual?

Brian

5. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It must be nice to work on a machine that is engineered correctly. I tried to change the oil on my machine and it was almost impossible!

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure the filter is completely full of oil. Install filter, make sure you got it on tight. [I thought I did, but didn't and that allowed air to suck into the hydraulic system, generating millions of minuscule bubbles that caused the oil in the reservoir to overflow! Had to start over.]
    Raise rear wheels and operate the machine, alternating forward then reverse for 15 to 20 mins.

Really though....the instructions are printed in the Owner's Manual...

7. mowerman90

Yes, I used the Lubrizol additive. Broke my heart (and wallet) to buy it but that's what the manual called for.

8. mowerman90

9. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

mowerman, what brand of fluid did you use?

Joe :waving:

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

In over 14 years, I have never changed hydro fluid and never had a problem with transmissions. Maybe I just been lucky.