Just checked on some commercial extended length hedge trimmer prices...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Mar 30, 2006.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

and if I hear of one more person justifying a 25 dollar and below price for a yard mow, edge, trim, and blow (and some with fertilizer aps, leaf cleanups, and shrub pruning also) I am going to scream:angry: I am getting sick of people with absolutely no business sense...I looked at stihl, redmax, and echo and like everthing else, expensive...I looked at buying the Toro commercial with kawasaki motor and saw that price--sure ain't going to cut it with anything less than 30 for the smallest of yards...I lost an account to 4 knuckleheads in crocodile hunter outback garbs who are now charging 42 dollars every two weeks to do this 20,000 square feet of lawn, with hills. It is a front, back, and corner area...This year, my minimum is 30 dollars, no matter the yard size...I don't care if a dog can take stand on one end, and take a $hit on the other, I am charging 30 dollars! If goes up from there a dollar a minute...My Stihl BP blower, handheld, and trimmer were over a thousand on just those...I am slowly building my commercial equipment but MY Santa! Then I post about my Toro personal pace and people are like "go out and get you a Toro Proline...jib, jab, jibby jo bewilliker!" These are the people that post "oh, don't know if I will make payroll." WTF ever...

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it's time for you to take on a new career...;)

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Your point is?

4. thill

thill LawnSite Member

HUH?

& I thought us Texas hayseeds rambled............. <grin>

5. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

I must have the same attitude he has because I think I know what he is trying to say...And I agree. With the cost of good equipt. as high as it is and fuel/labor/etc. It is nuts to think there are still people charging $25 to mow,trim,edge,blow. I don't see how anyone who is legit w/insurance, pays taxes, etc. can be making a living charging less then $35-$40 for basic lawn maint. and $40-$50 per hr for labor on installs and other services provided.

6. dcplace2004

I'm not quite sure I would have chosen those particular pics...I would have had somebody quickly run a stick edger down those curbs before I snapped the shot...:cool2: And when you say "change careers" what do you mean by that? Are you suggesting that I am not on track here?

7. dcplace2004

it IS possible to make a living at it...HE is making a living at it...that is why he can sit at the computer and type his comeback...I definitely ain't going to relocate my family to work for him, that is for sure...:nono:

8. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

The price per cut thing is way overrated. I look at what I can gross per man hour. I try and stay in the $60-$80 /hr range including drive time. I can make a honest profit and pay myself and employees a fair wage. Some people charge $35 per cut and can only do 10 yards per day I do 18-25 per day with a min of $25.