Just checking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, Aug 13, 2003.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

How many of you guys don't use anything on your discharge shoot?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would be a guilty party of that sometimes...if nobody is around and I mean nobody

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what would i use? i dont get it

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that he means the shoot guard...at least that is what I am thinking he is talking about.

5. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

What I meant was, the sticker on your mower deck says do not operate machine without bagger, or discharge chute. I took mine off both of my mowers because, I don't bag grass and if i leave the stock chute on, I get rows of clumps of grass. It also bogs down without a good clearout of the grass.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Haven't used a discharge shute in 19 years. Use a mulching plate on 36" WB but on the Zs I don't use anything.

7. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I have a Scag 48" W/B and I have the chute on. I know it is there for safety reasons. However, would I have a lot less clumping or lines of cut grass if I took it off? If so, is this because the grass is allowed to spread out and fly around more vs. being angled down and thrown back into the grass. I think I may have answered my own question, but I'd figure I ask anyway.

8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

First thing I do when I buy a mower is take the chute off. I've never used them, lawn looks a lot better without them

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly.

10. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I saw an Exmark the other day that was unique. The guy had removed the shoot and cut a piece of tire to fit the opening. He cut slits in it and bolted it on. The slits allow grass through and the rocks and hard debris hit the rubber and fall to the ground. When it wears out he still has the rest of that tire plus 3 more.lol