just clean it free?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 16, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

had a heated discussion this morning on the phone with another lco. there are areas around here that are loaded with oak and sycamore trees. in these areas, throughout the entire season, any wind or rain will create a mess. the beds, walks, and lawns get loaded with leaves, twigs, branches/debris. you have to walk around with a can and pick up the branches, and big stuff (usually one can a week, but up to 3 cans after heavy wind/rain). you then need to blow out all the beds. this takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes, BEFORE you even begin your mowing. i was asking him how much he charges for this, because i have some work in those areas, and he has 90% of his total client base in these areas. he says he charges NOTHING for this extra work. he says IT'S HIS JOB to maintain the property, if it gets messy, he cleans it, at no extra charge. he charges spring clean up, weekly mow, chemical apps, and fall cleanup, nothing for the constant cleaning that has to be done throughout the season. would you charge for the extra 10-20 min of work (almost every single week), or, just do it at no charge?

2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

When I do a bid in a area like that I'll add extra because of the trees. Maybe $5-10 extra per mow.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

that's exactly what i do. i charge $7 a week, june thru oct, and itemize it "weekly cleaning."

4. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

That guy must be nuts...and dosen't know much about math>he is only cutting his own throat

5. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Ask him if he had a winning powerball ticket if he would cash it in! :waving:

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

On a full maintenance contract it is in the monthly billing. I do not charge extra for anything,(but mulch cost). That is what full maintenance is.
    But you have to know how to look for that stuff before you place a proposal.

7. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

This should be considered when making your initial bid. Properties with messy trees, ie, Large oaks, Sycamore, Magnolia. and large river birch are bid higher. I know that these trees are going to make a mess and I consider this when bidding the property.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

but, you have to itemize the fees, don't you? i have alot on full service maint contracts too, but, they still want to know what they are paying for the services.

9. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Bobby mention free in a post. Could it be that one of my mentors had changed direction. Next you'll tell me there are no chemical weapons in Iraq. I'm was glad to read the post and see Bobby had not sprung a leak and was defending our right to charge. -Paul

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My contracts spell out exactly what we will do but we do not break it all down per service. Most include cuts-lawn care-shrub and tree(to 12 feet) trimming, Irrigation maintenance, (repairs are billed extra) fall/spring clean up, and the maintenance of mulch. We do bill for the material on mulch. But no we only give 2 numbers-total cost and that by 12. I have never been asked to do it any different.
    now we do a lot of extras on some properties and we always bill for that. This winter we are redoing a soccer field for one of our HOA's and that will be an extra.