Just completed patio.....1st time doing steps

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by desii, May 11, 2007.

1. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Here's some pics of a patio that I just completed. Not as elaborate as some of the work that I've seen on here, but it's the first time that I have ever done steps.

The first two are just after completion and the third is after the homeowner added their touch. I threw the fourth one in just for kicks. It's at my house and I haven't seen too many with that type of pattern on here.

PS: Please be nice, this is not my main type of work. We mostly to grounds maintenance.

IMGP2216.jpg

IMGP2217.jpg

IMGP2221.jpg

IMGP2225.jpg

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not in to doing pavers but at a quick glance, very nice. I would pay for this job with out any question.
    Mike

3. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not bad. I think I did a lot worse on my first staircase. The only problem I see are:

I would have made the main top landing wider and deeper. Walking up into the house isnt so bad, it's walking out the door and suddenly going down. Imagine holding a arm full of food for a BBQ, and then going out that door.

The steps look like they were constructed ok, but when you figure in the patio, you lose the height for the first step. If you used 6" block, you'd have more steps, but they wouldn't be as steep, and probably easier to climb.

The laying pattern has no interlock, which means the rows can shift over time. Since your not intending to drive on it, it should be ok. Your craftsmanship looks good. :drinkup:

4. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think he built the steps, just veneered them with pavers and bullnose.

5. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I did make the top step wider than the rest. It's about 20" and the rest are 12". This was discussed with the costumer extensively. They were interested in fewer steps so the could have more patio, but I do agree they probably should not have been as steep.

It's hard to see it because the colors are so close on the pavers, but there is an interlock to the patio. It has a 5x5 - 8" in a square pattern (which turns into long rows) filled in with 16 - 6" pavers. I understand what your saying, but the costomer was going to do this themselves and were trying to use a pattern that had little cutting.

The steps are veneered, but I did build them, too, with 4x8 solid block. There was nothing there but some blocks with planks on them.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

looks good

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

not that it matters but that still has no interlock. interlock come from changing lines and shapes. not just running rows of different sizes.