1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just curious how many solo operators have their wife help out and how many work w/

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blair smock, Feb 26, 2005.

1. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Just curious how many solo operators have their wife help and how many operators start out and end up with health issues? Sort of long-

Hi guys, have been reading lawnsite for about a year now, been part time lawn care for many years on and off, I found it is something I really enjoy. Last year I had no problem getting accounts to the point where I was doing really well, The only problem I had with customers were the accounts that I did not go out on. Unexpectedly I ran into health issues and ended up selling a lot of my equipment from my second truck. Two surgeries later I thought I was almost back to where I could go full blast. I just got back from the doctors and found that the way they attached my Rotor cuff to the bone in my shoulder did not heal correctly, and I ended up with a blood infection similar to shingles , that have been dragging me down- Yuck! In a nutshell I am not going to be able to maintain near the accounts I want to nor will I be able to do all the work my self that I was planning on. I have been adding enough equipment from my profits to make two really super setups but ends up will not be able to utilize half of it. My wife has offered to help me through this summer as well as one of my nephews. I figure I will be off work most of the summer anyway and if I sold a lot of my new equipment I had recently purchased we could make it till the nxt year. (No use having it sit) I would probably just keep 1 zero turn one walker and all the hand equipment in a small enclosed trailer. Sorry to ramble, just was curious if many had their family’s in the biz and how it worked out. Thanks for reading, Take care, Blair
  2. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

My wife helps me. We work well together.
  3. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

My girl freinds comes out with me and shes great help.. i look at her like a employee and does everything a guy can do :) thats my two sense though!
  4. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

my wife and i work togather. it works just fine, in for a dime in for a dollar.
  5. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I'd pay mine to say home before I let her help for nothing!
  6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

My wife works with me. She quit teaching last year to do this fulltime. She's been great. Can do just about anything I do and as good. She's a great salesperson too. No health problems that we know of other than her sinuses.
  7. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

I don't think I could find a harder worker then my wife. Even when we get behind she pushes right along next to me. Now if we could only find a couple of more like her then we would be all set. Of course I can't tell her that...you know woman....it would go right to her head...in case you read this honey I'm just kidding!
  8. billc

billc LawnSite Member

My wife works with me. She does most of the mowing on the ztr while I trim and blow.

I think several of our customers respond well to a woman being so visibly involved in the biz.
  9. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want my wife working with me. I have a few reasons but I will not post them because she may read them. I don't think she would want to work out there with me. I'm just glad she's not a competitor of mine.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

My wife is great help,customers like family oriented businesses.