just curious

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pate's Mowing, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Pate's Mowing

Pate's Mowing LawnSite Member

has anyone here ever submitted a bid to mow for a school (or schools) and if so what's the going rate? (I understand that it will probably depend on the size and everything thats involved.) I currently mow residential only and am trying to go light commercial to see if it will benefit my business. Right now I usually try to get $20 / per hour + residential. The school contract will be year round (or 34 cuts) hedges,pine needles,weed killer,edging

Thanks in Advance Dp
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

$20 per hour??? your hired! Come on up I'll even pay the rent on your appartment...

Try $140 per hour for residential and $90/hour commercial...
  3. Pate's Mowing

most of my res. accounts are 1/2 acre or less. I usually get in and out in an hour or less.........(2.5 houses an acre here) they build 'em tight
  4. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

what equipment do you own?
  5. Pate's Mowing

right now most is troybuilt, riding mower push mower.
    husqvarna blower , ryobi trimmers

Like I said, I mainly mow residential so the bigger equip. would not really benefit me (for now anyway)
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You're talking about the Charlotte schools bid and that is 9 schools and FAR from "light commercial". To do it and still make money you'll need at least 3 to 5 60-72" ZTR's OR a WAM and a couple Z's. You also by law must be licensed as a pesticide applicator (if you aren't) and these bids will probably take a 3-4 man crew all week.......
  7. coryc_23

coryc_23 LawnSite Member

:weightlifter: your right it depends on the size of the school and if you have ball fields to mow. We take care of a 70 acre school in central ohio need any more give me a heads up. You can charge by the acre or on a per mowing but if you do it that way try to figure how long it will take you to mow the site or sites.
  8. Pate's Mowing

yes. A friend told me about the schools but was'nt sure because I never have placed a bid on larger jobs. I know my equip. will have to be upgraded for starters and I am doubtfull I'd get all 9 but I would'nt mind trying for 1. I appreciate all of your responses. Dp
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

typically the bid winner will get all 9 schools.....these type of bids are best handled by larger professional LCO's as you can lose a TON of money if you don't do these type of accts and know how to properly bid them. I was contacted on Monday about bidding on them and I told them I was not interested.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Most likely the district will want the same company to do all 9.

That's the way it is here anyways. I do 5 schools for the district that I mow, and I'm getting about $50 / hour, depending on whether I mow or not.

What I mean by this is, for the last 2 weeks I've mowed a total of 10 hours on the 5 schools, so if you take half the money for the month, (2 weeks) and divide it by 10 hours, then I'm running about $300 / hour right now.

If you take the total amount of cuts, and divide it out for the actual money for the year, and then add in ALL of the additional costs, it's about $50 / hour, including drive time, lunch time, break down time, etc for the entire year.

If we don't get anymore rain for the rest of the month, then I could very well be looking at $400-500 / hour on this account.

BUT, there's been a year like last year, when I had to mow an extra 4 times, and my hourly rate went down to about $40 / hour for the entire year.

It's all in your area that you live / work / get paid too. $50 / hour one place will go alot farther than $75-90 somewhere else, once you get past the gas costs.