Just curious...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Husky05, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering, how do you become a dealer that sells block, like Versa Lok or Uni-lock. Do you just call the company and tell them you are interested in selling thier product? Do you have to pay to become a dealer? How much do you think you make per piece, 5-10% just wondering.... Thanks

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend who sells mulch and top soil as a business with a yard no actual building extcept office building. He was approached by a rep from Cornerstone block and Nickolock pavers to take them on. He is now a dealer for them selling a fair amount of block and little pavers. I think he didnt have to invest $ but had to pay for product in yard ( 30 days ) Like anything else i would say the more he buys the better he could do, like the thing of the big guy always wins. I do know many block companies dont like to have dealers closer than a 50 mile radious which makes sence.
    mike

3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd start with the easy cash stuff like mulch and soil. Target homeowners first to get your mark-ups. Move into block and pavers as you grow.

This is something that I was discussing with my mom and is something I'm seriously considering. Once you establish yourself, the customers come to you!

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

No, you don't have to pay to become a dealer.

But you do need a lotta start up capital.

You'd need a large truck with a boom or a spider.

As well as a facility with a yard, and space for elaborate displays.

5. PlatinumLandCon

Damn straight. Thats why I say start with the big cash, high-margin homeowner stuff and grow from there. I have one of the largest yards in Canada as the closest supplier for most block so I guess I'm spoiled, BUT it will need a few hundred g's to get right into pavers and blocks.

6. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I got the space I have about an 1 1/2 acres of commerical property on a busy street that would be ideal for selling bulk materials and block. I do not have a big truck though that has a crane that could deliver block. But I have a bobcat and 1 ton. I could hold 2 pallets of block on, or I could possibly find someone to do deliveries, I dont know. This sounds alot easier then going out everyday and busting my back....who knows

7. PlatinumLandCon

Oh geez.... You're 95% of the way there. I'd start selling stuff you can easily deliver (i.e. mulch & soil). Once you establish a business, it'll be much easier to buy the inventory & truck to sell block.

You might want to start selling some smaller quantities and a more limited selection on site BUT offer the ability to order other things as people want them.

This will definitly be a great way to supplement your install work because now you could hire someone to do the work for the install business (you work only Tuesday & Thursday, lets say) and you grow the retail spot. With 1.5ac you're pretty much set.... that'll take you a long way.

You'll eventually grow out of it but at that point what you do is have a "Contractor Only Yard" thats less than 1 mile away on a side street (cheaper land) to keep your business growing. At this point you'll be set for life.

Good Luck! Keep us updated with your decision!

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

My buddy i mentioned whom took them on already had a 600 series dump truck and skid loader for loading top soil and mulch. So the only thing he had to do was get a trailer to haul the block on for delivery.

mike