just curious

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by locutus, Sep 9, 2003.

1. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

just wondering how some of you guys price your aeration, dethatching, and overseeding and what it would be per thousand square feet. i have always passed along the price of the rental equipment to each and every customer,billed for my time and materials. on some smaller accounts, economy of scale starts to kick in and there is a bare minimum that i need to get. an extreme example would be say if someone had fifty square feet that needed that service. there is no way i would do that for ten dollars at a rate of twenty cents per square foot. on larger jobs this to me is an excellent rate. just rambling, any thoughts?

2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

On that one wear shoes w/ cleats while you mow. Tack on $20 for aerating.

3. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

De thatching?
    I use to charge 4x the cut.
    I don't dethatch any more, to much of a pane in the arss having to work around the rain and having to re schedule nagging '' how com you didn't power rake today'' customers.
    Plus it ended up interfering with the start of the cut season.
    Now I will be going with aerating next year. You can aerate any time, rain or shine and it can also be done on your mowing rout, Wuulaa.:) Not to sure about what i'm going to charge just yet.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Locutus

Have you ever done those services before?

I won't tell you what I charge. It just might not relate to your area and what the location allows.

But I look at it this way.

If your doing weekly service and your average with your competitors. Then you can use what your weekly rate is for basing the other charges.

Example;
    Weekly $25, you cut, edge, trim and what ever else. Now bear in mind you do that every week.
    Aerating. How often do you do that? Once a year? and for once a year you spent $2500 for the machine. Are you going to charge $25?

Well it took you about the same time to aerate as it did to do the weekly. Aeration is a specialty service, seperate from the routine of maintenance. It is additional work. So why not charge 2x of your weekly? More if your area demands that kind of price based on the competition around you.

Power raking is something different all together.
    You rake, clean it up and cut over. You wouldn't do that for the price of weekly, don't think you would do that for 2x the weekly. 3x yeah that's not bad. More if you can get it based on the average of your local competition.

When I say competition, I don't mean what some will advertise in an add. Get to know those around you, get friendly. Ask them if the respond, then offer to them what you charge.

This industry is not some secret order or membership.

Just as we exchange thoughts here. Do the same out there. For where you live, those around you have the right answers.

But use this as a guide...................;)

PS:
    There is nothing preventing one from formulating charges at 2.25x or 2.6x just for the reason I or anyone says 2x or 3x

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

glan, yes i have performed these services before. however i have yet to compare my rates with others in my area . i will admit to flying by the seat of my pants a bit when it comes to "extras"simply because i dont generally have to compete with anyone for these services. most of my accounts i have had seven years plus and they prefer i provide these services and never ask for estimates, just do it and bill me they say. the main reason i posted the thread was to see if i was somewhere in the ballpark with my pricing nationally. i did a search on this site about what we are discussing a it turns out that on average i am neither low nor high. makes me feel better to know that my seat of the pants pricing stratagy hasnt caused me to price gauge anyone so far.thanks for your help.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

You have GREAT customers

Best of Luck to you.........:)