JUST CUTS! No trimming.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Sep 20, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

Thinking about adding this service next year to increase volume & profits.

JUST CUTS!
    All lawns cut weekly & clippings blown off for $20.
    NO TRIMMING.

Reasons:
    Hard to train good trimmer men.
    Trimming a small res takes 1/4 to 1/2 the time for cutting.
    Running 36 or 44 hydro's, & 21's over these props would take only 5 to 10 min.
    Alot of people just want the grass cut at a cheap price.
    We would likely line up multiples on every street.
    Concentrated area so drive time to next street is minimal.

As is we do 150+ residentials cut-trim-blow-hedges&apps.
    By adding Just Cuts I could add crews without having to worry about training trimmer men & could probably secure many multiples per street.

Any downside?

2. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

People just walking or driving by will think you do shotty work.

STiCK-nIne

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

oh, man.:rolleyes:

4. dhicks

dhicks Member

I would think you could get by doing just a cut but I'd makesure that I covered up the company logo and name on the truck/trailer.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

i think it needs to be the reverse,no one wants to trim,ive had people ask me to trim,edge and blow.,they will mow.Mowing is easy,they dont want to do the hard work.

6. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

It's you're reputation.

7. casey

casey Guest

I would put a JUST CUTS logo on the trucks used for that service so other people would know what service is being provided.

8. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

Get a set of magnets to put over your existing logo for these accounts (assuming you have one) set up a separate phone line, and incorporate under the assumed name "Just Cuts", and if you can, put the incorporation in someone else's name (wife, brother, etc.). Do everything you can to keep people from associating this "cut only company" with your main stay. I would not want to jeopardize 150 current customers much less future business that was gained from our professional image at our existing sites. I also would not want current customers figuring out what your now offering and say to themselves " I can save ten bucks! ".

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i've done something like this to increase business but...

the people i've done this with i sold them a landscape "upgrade" to qualify:

I "round-off" all beds for ease of mowing and install beds around trees, requiring less trimming.

I ended up making more for the landscape labor, edging, mulch, etc.... and i'm able to get more scheduled mowing accounts.

10. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Worst thing imagined, did I mention the worst thing imagined!!!! You get alot of new customers from the quility of work you do at peoples homes, they drive by and say oh doesnt that lawn look nice! Can you imagine a nicely striped lawn only to see grass groing up over the house, flower beds, driveway and every other place it grows!!! YOU WILL NOT GET ADDED BUSINESS DOING A SHODDY JOB!!!!!! If you think about it all you really spend trimming on a average small lot is only a few minutes. Granit some of our condos we maintain are 70plus units and over 100,000sqft of lawn but it only takes 2 people not long at time. Let me repeat you grow through your quility of work and not the amount you do!