1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Demoed an Exmark

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by bigjeepinyj, May 5, 2004.

1. bigjeepinyj

bigjeepinyj LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Well I just demoed my first eXmark. 28HP EFI 60" Cut.

One word "WOW".

Of course the day that I pick it up it is raining. I go ahead and cut anyways. I could not believe how well it cut. It has dried out today and I am going to find some lawns to cut today. To try it out dry.

My Question:

After demoing the EFI. How does a smaller 52" HP compare. I am beginning to think that the 60" is a little big. We are going to mow about 4 acres with the mower at home and pick up some jobs around the neighborhood. How will the speed compare.

Also what is the resale of the EFI over other models... Headaches ect.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Glad you liked it. I often forget how much fun the Lazer is myself.

It's a little tough to compare the Lazer EPS to the Lazer HP. The EPS is really in a class by itself in terms of horsepower. The HP is smaller, is 1/2 mph slower, has less horsepower, smaller tires, lower center or gravity, a 1/2 shallower deck, uses a different engine configuration and a single belt to drive the mower deck.

To be honest you'll be happy with either machine but you will notice a difference in some of the handling and cutting characteristics between the two. From a comfort standpoint I find that larger operators actually prefer the smaller Lazer HP over the Lazer Z.

For your purposes the HP will do everything you want it to do and more. The EPS on the other hand is the "hotrod". It's bigger, has more power, larger tires and is in some ways our premier model next to the XP.

As far as resale value is concerned I'm can't really say for certain. The early EFI's had some issues, most of them minor but issues just the same. The current 28's have yet to stumble. They have been performing well and I've heard very few complaints.

Good luck and rest assured that either machine will perform admirably for you.

3. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

Greetings - In most cases the efi machines will have better resale than any carb. models. You will have better performance and fuel economy with the efi machines.
    Good Luck with your Lazer
  4. bigjeepinyj

from Indiana

Thanks you very much for the reply. It is awesome that a company will reply to consumer questions on an open forum...

Can I get the same seat that the EFI offers in the HP. That is one of the big selling points that I noticed from the EFI that I have had for a few days. My neighbor has one with a (What I would call "Rigid) seat. It seems extremely uncomfortable.

Thank you for your time in resonding.

5. eXmark

Yes, the suspension platform can be mounted under the HP seat or any standard seat we've ever used on the Z's. This might be a refreshing change for your neighbor as well. I wouldn't tell him right away though. Let him watch with envy for a week or so then tell him. The platform is around $200. Personally I like it a great deal and would recommend it.

6. MikeNSX

MikeNSX LawnSite Member

My two year old 25HP LaserZ 60" was just delivered tonight and I cut my 2.5 acres with it. I can't believe what i've missed all these years. I've had a Cub Cadet tractor with a 60" + track vac, then I replaced that with a Cub Z-54 zero turn.

The Exmark is in a class by itself. I finished in a little over an hour. almost twice as fast as the Z-54. I even mowed around the house. The reason I'm telling you this is, the 60" deck on the Cub tractor I had felt too big to use around the house. The Exmark positivly is not. It did a great job. I'm glad I got a 60. In my opinion, its not too large. I also don't have any narrow gates to go through.

btw. I never took much notice to commercial mowing before, but I stopped and talked to three commercial mowers the other day to ask their advice on a mulch kit. Three different businesses in different parts of my town.. and all of them used eXmark mowers. and all of them said I don't need the mulch kit.. and now I agree. My lawn never looked as good.

Just my .02.. YMMV

7. eXmark

Great and Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll have some questions as time goes on. Please do not hesitate to give us a call or drop me an e-mail.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I just had too!!!!!!!!!!

9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" HP and a 60" Lazer Z. I started with the 52" and then bought a 60" to cover more ground. It has not only drastically decreased my cutting time per property, but it also cuts cleaner in almost all conditions compared to the 52". I have observed a noticeable difference between the Tri-Vantage and the Ultra-Cut decks, with the Ultra-Cut being superior. Don't get me wrong, the Tri-Vantage is a great cutting deck, I just think the deeper Ultra-Cut deck performs slightly better. As for maneuverability, I can put the 60" just about anywhere the 52" can go. Also, if you are thinking about a bagging system down the road, the 3 bag Ultra-Vac for the Z series holds considerably more than the 2 bag Ultra-Vac of the HP.
  10. bigjeepinyj

from Indiana

I think that I am going to go with the 60"er. From what most of you are saying the 60 will go anywhere the 52 will go (obviously not through gates). I was thinking about demoing the 52 but I think that I will just go with the 60 EFI. I know that the 52 is not going to be as superior cut.

Nice Pic.... That is about what the demoed mower looked like after I got done with it. I mowed to lawns in the rain.