Just do my leaves when they're all down..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Justcutitshort, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Anyone else have customers that don't want their leaves blown (not picked up), until the end of the season, or mostly all down???
    The problem, which is what I'm addressing, is any which way you slice it, waiting that long ends up with wet leaves. The bottomline being, the cost is more and all the time the leaves lay on the lawn, the look is unsightly.
    Though we give our speech about the cost is more and the lawn is poor looking, they still don't listen.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I do leaves only one way...mine. Or, I simply walk. Case closed.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yes, I have some one time customers that do that. Right now I am dealing with a headache because of how wet everything is up here. I am hoping to get everything done by Thanksgiving, the snow melted, but we are now getting rain.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Rod's right. My way or the highway. If you show them that it's cheaper in the long run to do them gradually and they still don't want to play along, they're stupid or broke and putting off the big trouble till later. In which case, they'll then want you to do a massive cleanup on the cheap. Neither one makes a good long term customer.

Mulching update: I have 2 acres with almost all hardwood trees and a smallish lawn where the clearing for the house is. The leaves blow in bigtime from the woods and cover the lawn. I mulched my lawn today after 2 weeks of heavy leaf falls while I was out of town and otherwise busy. It does not look great after one pass. But two was pretty good, and by the time you're done enough have blown back in from the woods and such that the amount of visable leaf fragments left by mulching is the least of the problems.

I plan on having two ztrs next year. One set up to mulch and another to discharge. I will be able to use the latter to vac up any fragments on any lawn where mulching doesn't do a sufficient job. Best of both worlds I think, and still faster than bagging w/o a mulching pass first.

5. Justcutitshort

We've been using a setup similar to that for the last few years. One machine has the highest doubles available, and can cut and blow lighter leaves all day long. That is all that machine does.
    The other machine is the workhorse. We use it two ways. We carry highlift doubles for it, and also double muchers, too. Using a battery impact, we can change blades in approx. 1 minute, to either one step cut/blow or heavy duty mulch and ground blow.
    I'm not sure how you do your mulch and blow, but on the clock for our guys, if you ground blow/mulch the leaves to the back, it's fastest to blow the leaves to within 10 feet of the back, then mulch there, rather than cut/mulch and then blow what's left to the back.

6. Justcutitshort

That sounds like page from the Bobbygedd owners manual for leaf removal.:p I apologize. I just couldn't resist the temptation.:blush:

Rodfather,
    It must be nice to pick and choose.:D We don't mind the customers telling us how they want the leaves done. It's their money they're spending foolishly, not ours payup

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Rod's right. I have very few who choose to do this. For the most part, they've signed their own cancellations. Same as single stop mow only accounts. Once you become established (especially if you're not solo), it all comes down to routing, scheduling & volume. You too shall see that the aforementioned are simply not profitable period (as Rod would say).

8. Justcutitshort

Maybe we're doing something wrong, but I don't quite grasp charging $130/hour for 2 workers as not profitable. Maybe we need to move to jerrrsy. (G)

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats good money $65/mh, but I just hate a nasty clean-up when all of the leaves are down. Around here that could equivocate to 8" deep of wet leaves blanketing the turf areas and additional wet heavy leaves where they've collected in the beds. Just not my idea of a fun day at the office.

10. Justcutitshort

I guess, this is rather my point. Throughout the season, these accounts are fine. Payment is on time, no complaints, and they make groups of 3 to 7 accounts possible.
    As far as messy. When we go to these accounts, I let the guy's hit the backpacks/shrub cleanout and I stay with the groundblower or leave plow. Hey, I'm not stupid:cool2: