1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"just do whatever u have to, and bill me for it"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 29, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

over the years ive had a customer here and there tell me to just do "whatever i think needs to be done", and send the bill. well, this year, ive actually had about 6 or 7 clients give me that speach. they say while u r here mowing, if u see something that should be done, no need to ask, just do it, and add it to the bill. now i have never actually done anything without discussing it with a customer first. wonder how it would go over if i took it upon myself to aerate, and maybe trim some branches away from the house, and tack on $250 to the bill. any of you had customers tell u this? how did it work out?
  2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Have had 1 guy for four years now and that is his response every spring, i have took it upon myself a few times when i have oticed something and has never questioned me yet, and have tacked up to 400$ to the bill in one month, he is a dentist and has two planes, he lives on a lake, but i do not take advantage just make his property look perfect, and it does.
    AK Lawn
  3. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

How about why your at it you can pick up the dog poop, vacuum the pool , power wash the house (ha,ha just kidding). Anyways I had customers do that and while I am having that conversation I make sure to bring up which up keep they want you to watch, like the bushes or mulch. Just try to make clear with them what you are supposed to be watching for around there house.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Since most of my clients have busy full time careers I have quite a few who say that. And I do it.... If a 1,000 mulch job needs to be done, I do it. If I notice the shrubs could use a trimming...I do it. I have never had a problem with these type of customers. If they didnt mean it they wouldnt say it. They just have too much going on in there careers to worry about calling me when something needs to be done on the property.
  5. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I call 'em "blank check" customers. The good ones are worth their weight in gold, and I'm always careful not to abuse their trust. The bad ones are the ones that ask you to "just cut" after they get their first bill for additional services...
  6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I have a bunch who just tell me to send them the bill.
  7. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I have about thirty clients that are that way, never really gave it much thought we just do whatever needs to be done.
  8. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I got some of them an "i Love em!!"
  9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

These clients are the best. They want their landscapes well maintained and money is usually not an issue as long as you don't overcharge them. I have one client (3rd owner of this house in 12 years) "Just do whatever you have to do as long as it's not over $1000.00 - Then you'd have to check w/ me first". My response - No problem - all services are $999.95 LOL

10. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

i have one that said this. found out the reason he didn't care was they company he worked for as a pilot pays for him to hire somone to keep his yard while he is out of town. he said the company said whatever it cost to keep your yard looking like you are there.