1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just doing one thing!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Acres, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I do mostly mowing but was thinking of cutting that back and getting into spraying fert, weedcontrol, etc. I was wondering how many of you just do spraying and that's it? If you do spraying and something else which one do you like better? I think I will get a job with someone first to learn some about this business. How did you get started in it? Thanks

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I did it with a lawncare co. for 10 years, but I would say it takes about 3 good years to really learn all aspects of lawncare. You would be wise to get all of the literature you can and really get to know your grass/weed/insect/disease types and their treatment before you offer it as a service. You will need to pass a state test to gain a licence. Then you need insurance and some good equipment. It can be a bit expensive to start up. Good luck.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you know any golf course supers. These guys know a lot. Take a turf mgt class at your local com. collage. Your state licensing should supply you with some testing books that are very helpful. Also Landscape MGT. magazine sells the Landscape Management Handbook its cheap and full of info. Good Luck!