Just figured it out!

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by cgland, Jan 17, 2004.

1. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys!

Aries - A pond that size could run anywhere from $4,200 to $7,000 depending on waterfall height, pump size and most of all stone work.

Weatherman - No. we do ponds quite regularly.

Thanks again guys!

Chris

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like the falls and the skimmer have a plastic (maybe) cover on them. Do you try to hide them with rock or plantings?

3. cgland

Yes, we normally do, but in this particular instance the customer wanted to do all of the plantings.

Chris

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Great pond install. Are you going to have any fish in it :)?

5. cgland

I typically leave that up to the homeowner. We tend to have a pretty bad Heron problem around here. Thanks for the compliment.

Chris

6. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

cgland-
    Looks good. I'm now learning how to do ponds. You say the customer is doing the planting. Aquascape says you need roughly 60% plant in the pond. It looks like maybe 10%. Is there enough plants in the water??? Will the customer be responsible if there is problems from not having wnough plants?? Thanks

7. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

cgland- Or will this fill in shortly? Or is this 60% plant in ponds not real accurate?? Thanks again

8. cgland

Q-Team - I don't know what 60% means! Is it supposed to mean 60% of the waters surface? If it does, I think that will be a bit too much IMO. What if you have a Koi pond? In a pond that size I would typically put 5-8 plants in it. After a while they will spread and then you just keep them nice and tidy. If I had to put a percentage on it I would say 30% MAX. Again, IMO!

Chris

9. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I want to do one.

Looks great. Keep up the good work. Where did you learn this ?

10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like your pond. Do you have any fish in there yet? If you do, or are planning to put fish in there, you're gonna definitely watch the ph levels in that water. The reason why I'm warning you about this is the fact that you have all of that beautiful mulch around the water's edge. The reason why it's not common to see mulch around the edges of an ornamental fish, or koi pond, is due to it making the water more acidic (lowering the ph). I have to tell you though. I do absolutely love the way that looks! You really have a winner there. You'll just have to keep a littler closer eye on that thing, than you would if you'd used all rock. Rocks that are high in limestone will make the ph swing the other way (towards the alkaline side). Just something to keep in mind.

Vic