Just figured it out!

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by cgland, Jan 17, 2004.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you do need to watch the mulch. Since it was dyed the brown/black color, Rainwater can wash that dye off into the pont water and contaminate it.

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnboy - That is not dyed mulch it is Bark mulch. The pic was taken right after we installed it, so it looks very dark.

As far as the mulch ending up in the pond, it really is not a problem, in fact when we installed the mulch I put a few pieces in and they floated over to the skimmer. There is a good flow in that pond so I not worried. Besides I think there is probably more acidity in rain water than in mulch that has not broken down. Thanks for the input guys.

Chris

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately the fact that the mulch is that close to the water will raise t.he ph of the water. I've seen that to be fact. It's the fact that rain will wash over the mulch, and wind up in the pond. It doesn't take much either. It's not a big deal. You'll just need to keep an eye on it. All fish ponds will eventually have trends of becoming more, and more acidic as they mature unless ph buffers are used to keep the ph in check. when mulch does blow into the pond, it is in contact with the water. That's all that has to happen for it to contribute to the acidity of the ponds water. Nothing to fret about. Just keep an open eye for it, and enjoy that sharp looking pond.

Vic