Just finished 2nd landscape job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grasswhacker, Jun 22, 2006.

1. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Opinions please. I did not do the wall since I was not that experienced in hardscaping.

2. grasswhacker

A few more:

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you did a real nice job there. Looks very good for only your second time.
    I will mention several common mistakes.
    You planter the shrubs a little too close to the house.
    The mulch is up against the bases of the plants. and the small area along side the garage will get rain water coming off the porch and your bar;k will wash away..that should have been dig out a little more.
    Good job.
  4. grasswhacker

All good points. The mulch is real light around bases, may get some wash off of porch and the hollies should be able to be trimmed away from house as needed, but i will look to bring out a bit more.
    Thank you sheshovel for your comments.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The house is very square, and the arrangements of your planting (all in a row etc) do not soften it at all.

Pick up a book on plant arrangement and your benefit a lot.

That said, I like your choice of plants, the color of the mulch, and the design done by the hardscaper.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Nice Job for your second time. Keep working on it and you will do just fine!!! YES, get a book and look at all the different designs for a close match to the house that you will be doing. Good Luck!!
  7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, the planting doesn't really soften the shape of the house yet. But, you picked some very nice plants and it will eventually soften the shape as it grows out. Nice job.
  8. grasswhacker

If you could pick the best landscape design book what would it be?
  9. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

you guys don't get much snow back there, do you.

some homeowners like stuff all in rows, some like more scattered. Based on overall layout, what you did looks great to me.
    Why is there a hose in the middle of the entry way?

From looking at last picture, it mght have been cool to make a "V" out of the retaining wall to match the roof line.
  10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Quick comment:

The cedrus atlantica/weeping blue atlas cedar is not a good choice in that small bed by the house. It looks cute and cuddly now but will demand more room in very short order. It is just the wrong plant altogether for that small area.

A better choice in that bed would have been something espaliered against the brick to soften the house with a foundation planting around its base or annuals as you have now.