just for you sheshovel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Aug 6, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

its not labeled but here is a front yard i designed.........she wanted to forget she lived on a 3/4 acre lot haha

guy i used to work with (as i call him, "Plant God") had some fun with thsi one..........he threw ideas at me and i took plants and so forth and ran with it

should my old company had put this in it would have been about $85,000.

Attached Files:

2. tthomass

from N. VA

9 large dark green circles = 15' Cryptomeria

6 brighter green circles around the lower patio = 10' Magnolia 'Little Gem'

3 purple circles = Crape Myrtle with Azaleas, Rhodo's and Hydrangea along the front

1 large light green circle at beginning of driveway = Maple 'October Glory'

yellow circles = Japonica 'Mountain Fire'

green circles = Boxwoods..........Wintergreen or English etc

4 green circles in upper right corner = 10' Holly

oh yeah, couldn't remember..............red circles = 'Burning Bush'

the rest is mixed perennials and Yews around utiliy boxes on left of driveway

house has a decent front slope and the gray is boulders for stepping stones, the front was to be a birm* worked in there somehow

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Very cool! You have real life pics of the final look after planting? Love to see that.
    Only design mistake I see here is the planting of a Maple too close to the driveway, root systems can become problems under cement in the future. Thank you for sharing. It IS nice when clients will actually pay for good landscapes and allow you to have fun with the use of plants. I tend to hear.. low maintenance, we don't want to have to mess with it.
    Well there IS no such thing as a NO maintenance landscape, but I will do the best I can. Plus we have water conservation issues here to deal with too.
    I get a huge smile on my face and get all excited when I get a client who lets me use lots and lots of plants. Heck, I want to do it free just to have some fun, they are so rare around here!

4. tthomass

from N. VA

the guy i worked with on it is used to bringing in such jobs, he does sales and could sell a light bulb to a blind person.......the install won't be going ahead because the people have no concept of $ and landscaping

i drew it more out of fun and he thought they would actually go for it......the back yard was gonna be another $65,000

none the less, i had fun with it.........this is the "sketch" i showed them so that is why things aren't labeled

5. sheshovel

Figgers! Par for the course! Cheapskates won't let us have any fun!
    I missunderstood you and thought you actually planted it.
    It is a good design though.

6. tthomass

from N. VA

i wish!! there was about $8,000 just in soil renovation..............brick like clay and TONS of shell

7. sheshovel

Well when the backyard landscape is going to cost 1/2 the amount they paid for the house....they tend to backpeddal real quick. I like to give then several options to choose from. An elaborate expensive one..
    ( because they always want more than they can afford)
    and also a moderatly priced one.

8. sheshovel

I would post up some pics for you, but because I have been doing alot of littlebitty tiny installs at a mobile home park..all the guys laugh at me and .
    make fun of me when I show them here.
    I can't help it if I have only had a computer and a digital camera a few years and have not got pics of some of my huge landscapes I have done.
    I have to admit I have been in a rut but there are only a few left in there to do left and I am not gonna let someone else take that easy money.

9. sheshovel

I may decide to re-size and repost some of my work though later.

10. tthomass

from N. VA

oh no..........the house is a easy $1.5 million, hence the elaborate landscape design