Just frustrating!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 14, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a bank last year, was taking me 30 minutes so this year I gave him a bid of $35 and I got the job... Now the grass is growing so fast that its taking me 90 minutes and looks like **** when I am done, clippings galore, tracks on the pavement etc... One saving grace is that no matter how bad it looks, the grass is growing so fast it looks pretty good within 2 days...

2. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Sounds like you need to increase your cutting frequency. Right?

Good luck,

BAMARED

3. Jon99

Without question, going to a Wed/Saturday schedule as of right now...The worst part is that I have 31 properties I mow, 30 look great and this one looks awful and unfortunately this one is the most visable... Just crossing my fingers that they stay content until Saturday when it will look nice.. :)

4. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

What if you bagged it. Clippings galore be all bye-bye.

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you say Growth Regulator, might be worth the investment to slow it down a bit. Who is taking care of the fertilization on the property. Might even want to look at the amount of water they are putting down, would help you out and save the customer some money, talk to the people that are maintaining the sprinkler system, unless of course you are getting a lot of rain and then prayers are in order.

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

30 minutes to 90 minutes? WOW! And, it still looks like ****? Use a rack and drag along the sidewalk while blowing. That helps a bit.

Growth regualtor? He is getting paid by cut. What happens when summer rolls around?

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

My mistake I missed the part about getting paid by the cut, I assumed it was a by the week thing. If it is by the cut I most definately wouldn't slow things down, hit it 2 or 3 times a week that should get you back to the 30 minutes per cut you planned when you bid.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Doesn't GR only last for a certain period of time anyway? So if applied in early spring, how long does it last? Perhaps it wears off by the time summer rolls around?

I know there's some guys here with personal experience with it. I seem to recall it had to be applied more then once a season.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

they usually are good for a couple of weeks.

10. Jon99

Whats taking me so long is the clean up, blowing off the sidewalks and landscaping.. The way the sidewalks are set up, I have to cross them a LOT and I end up with tracks galore... Luckily all of the rain we are getting washes them away within a few days..