1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just get hired, and other guy shows up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Apr 27, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

A woman approached me a few weeks back, not happy with her guy. he did a clean up and never returned. she liked my price, and the work i do on the block. said she has been unable to reach the other guy, but when he did show up, she'd ask 4 her key back, and tell him she was going to hire another guy.
    i go today, and the grass is not cut still after 3 weeks. i asked if she wanted me to start today, because the grass is getting taller and taller.

long story short, halfway through cutting, the other guy shows up.

do you even attempt to talk to the guy, or let the homeowner take care of it?
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I say it's none of your business it is between them.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I probably would. Be nice and courteous. Just let him know she asked you to maintain the yard.

Make it so if he wants to get mad at someone, let it be the customer. We're all too busy to get in pissin' matches.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'd play dumb. No reason for you to get involved in this, she approached you for service, and you are providing it. Nothing more, nothing less.
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

let the homeowner handle it .
  6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

This is a common thing here in Houston. I get this new account about 2 months ago and I have been cutting it bi weekly until two weeks ago I show up and someone else had cut it. I get pretty mad that the customer didnt call me to cancel service, so I knock on the door. He tells me that he wants me to cut the lawn and doesnt know anything about who had cut it.

Down here in Houston, a lco will just give their crews address sheets, and when they lose a customer, the crew still cuts the lawn anyways even though they arent getting paid. I guess I am getting paid for someone else to cut my lawn.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i was going to say something to the guy, along the lines of, "hey, i didn't steal your account, she asked me for a price... etc."
    but i just stayed out of it. if i knew the guy, i would have. but this guy i never saw before.
    felt awkward though, weedwhacking as he was standing waiting to get paid for the clean-up he did some weeks back.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

he aint your enemy. i was on a quote today, another guy pulled up right behind me. when i saw this, i added a few bux to the price. he came over and started chatting. he seemed cool.
  9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

If he couldn't keep his schedule it is his own fault. You just mow the grass and don't worry about it.
  10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Fight it out, last man standing gets the account. No, let the home owner handle it.