Just getting going

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieOwner, Apr 23, 2002.

1. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Hello everyone,

I've just moved to a new town, due to family reasons. I spent the last 5 years working for a big Landscape maintenance outfit. I've got my CCHT in landscape maintenance.

Now I'm in a smaller town, with almost no lawn care companies. But there is a high demand for lawn care services. Meanwhile I can't find a job that will pay my bills.

I've already gone out and gotten my buisness license, I've got insurance. I own a SUV, buying a truck will have to wait for a while.

What I really want to know is, what equipment to buy? I'm on a very limited budget. Things are getting REALLY tight after forking out for insurance. I can't afford the good commercial equipment I'm used to. So I've been looking at the residential stuff (unfortunately I can't find much used equipment)

I know I'm going to need a mower, trimmer and blower. But like I mentioned above, I need to keep the costs down. Are there some residential equipment that will get me through the next few months until I can afford to buy better equipment?

I can find lots of Poulan stuff, some homelite, weed eater, MTD mowers, yardworks (canadian tire brand) I also found some stanley mowers those are what I've found for now. I might be able to find more by traveling to other towns, but that will get pretty expensive!

I have searched the site, I realize you guys mostly recomend to avoid the homeowner stuff. And I understand why, but I can't afford the good stuff right now.

Looking forward to your help.

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Get what you can and get to WORK.
  3. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the last post......:D
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Maybe try to buy some good used Commercial equipment.
    If it hasn't been beaten to death, it will give you more life than homeowners stuff.
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I hate having to buy stuff twice.
    What equipment do you still need to purchase?
  6. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

OOPS (mower, trimmer, blower)

I think you should shell out a little more and get a commercial Trimmer and blower.

If you are thinking about home owner equipment then you are probably looking at 21" mowers. That 21" will soon be a trim mower so I don't think it's that big of a deal.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not to get personal, or anything, but how much do you have to work with? This will really give me an idea of what we can do without for the meantime, and what's important. For instance, no matter WHAT you get for a mower, whether it be a handmower, tractor, or whatever, you definitely need a good blower. This is an essential piece of equipment, and is always used. This is the kind of thing that I am talking about. I'm sure we can advise you on a decent little package, and give you reasons for doing, and not doing certain things.
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Welcome to Lawnsite.
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a commercial equipment dealer in your area? If so then finance the equipment and don't put much down. That way when you get a few extra bucks you can put them towards the principle in the loan. It's not easy getting started but I think credit is your best avenue.
  9. lavan

lavan LawnSite Member

Do what I lucked and did. I was driving by a mower repair shop and found a Toro commercial 21" for $300. Of course I talked him down to $250. Check your local newspapers and mower shops for used equiptment. It will help you get back into the business a whole lot cheapier.
  10. Liquid Cooled Exmark

Liquid Cooled Exmark LawnSite Member
    from CT

You should maybe try Bargain news online and see who is getting rid of stuff, right now it is kinda hard with the season really starting to get going. Good luck with your search.
    A friend on mine found a scag 48" belt for a good price last week, not sure how much though, he said it was a good deal.

We are buying a new exmark 52" hydro, but keeping our other mower, sorry i cant help anymore.