just getting started 60' or 70' mowing deck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bedbug, Oct 26, 2006.

1. bedbug

bedbug LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I was about to buy a Husqvarna LZ6130txp. I stopped at the Kubota dealer to look at the Kubota ZD28F,it has diesel power and shaft drive, it cost 2800.00 more.(ANYWAY I BOUGHT IT) The question i have is 60 inch or 70 inch mower Deck. The ZD28F comes with 60 inch mower deck,the dealer said i could up grade to a 70inch deck before i pick it up.
    Most of my jobs are residental. :confused:

2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

how big if you are doing 1/2 to 1 acre lots the 60 will be just fine

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Absolutely without a doubt, get the 72". (I think the Kubota has a 72, not a 70). Either way, get the bigger deck UNLESS it would restrict you from getting into gated or otherwise restricted areas of large mowing surfaces that the 60" would fit into. The additional foot of mower deck will drastically reduce mowing time. JMO. I've got both a 60 and 72, and I never use the 60. It makes no sense. Bigger IS better in this situation.

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Bigger is better unless you have tight areas. I would get the 72 and then get a 32 or 36 walk behind for tight spots if you don't already have one.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Get the 72'' deck. You have plenty of power to run it and using such a heavy mower is useless without a large cutting swath. The larger deck will also have a much bigger trim side.

6. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You don't mention ... but is this your only mower? If so ... I would say the 60" is the better bet. Now ... if you get yourself a smaller WB for all of those smaller or tighter spots, and the gated area ... then maybe the 72" is the way to go.

A 72" is fine for larger residential accounts, and commercial accounts ... but you need to make sure you match your equipment to the properties you maintain. Bigger isn't always better :nono:

:weightlifter: