1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just getting started...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by simplecut, Sep 13, 2005.

1. simplecut

simplecut LawnSite Member

I’ve decided to start my own lawn service. I feel like a 12 year-old kid walking around the neighborhood with his mower in tow (I’m 29). My wife and I have no kids (yet), I love to work in the yard and who couldn’t use the extra cash.

Now, this will not be a large production, as I plan to only do homes in my neighborhood (about third acre lots and a total of 165 homes). I plan to start with standard mowing (trimming, edging and blowing too), raking leaves, tree and shrub pruning and fertilizer applications.

I hope I am at the right place, and this is not just a site for commercial lawn services. Any notes, quotes and ideas are appreciated! Where do I start? What all do I need (besides the obvious, which I already have)? Help!
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Here you have to have at least been in the business for two years before you can get your chem lisense, so that may be a no go for a little while for you. At least legally! Anyway, what do you currently have for equipment, how much $ could you invest, and what commercial equipment is offered in your area? Also, if your want to do this legally you need a lisence. Hope that helps and answering those questions will give everyone on here a better idea of your situation and it will be easier for people to help you. Good Luck, just my 2 cents!
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi simplecut,

Why not get some flyers made up and start handing them out in your area and get business cards out to everyone you know.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates.Make your own logo Free.</center>
  4. simplecut

simplecut LawnSite Member

Right now, my capital is very small. I have a 21” mulching/bagging push mower (fairly new and I take immaculate care of it), a Toro gas blower, an Echo straight bar trimmer, an edger, other misc. tools and a 4X8 trailer. Again, I plan to stick to my neighborhood for the first season or two and see where that gets me…this is only a part-time gig (after work and on the weekends). I plan to save all profits until I can get a decent riding mower, but until then, all jobs will be done with my push mower.

I have ordered business cards, typed up an intro-letter on some letterhead and plan to mail them to all of the neighborhood residents (~165 homes) in the next week or two. I only expect about a 10% return on this type of marketing. After that, if I can keep up, we’ll see how far “word-of-mouth” referrals will get me.

Currently, I plan to offer the following services: mowing (bagging is extra), fall leaf removal, tree and shrub pruning, lawn de-thatching and fertilizer application. I plan on getting a business license before going too far, but I have no idea how much it will be or where to start with that…

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it…
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

try really hard to keep the prices, up, i know its hard..... but when we are now we usually come in way too low.... which isnt good for anyone, call around and ge some estimates from companys in your area on a friends lawn...

good luck