just getting started

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by island_rob, May 25, 2006.

1. island_rob

island_rob LawnSite Member

can someone help me decide between a exmark or scag walkbehind beltdrive
    to start-up . I like the ecs on the metro but not sure if scag is more durable.?
    Please give me some help!:
  2. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I've had exmark for a few years now and have never had any major problems... You gotta remember the better you take care of the machine the longer it will last... If you go with exmark, and get the ECS controls, don't get a belt drive... Just spend the extra cash, TRUST me you will never regret it. Go with the hydro....
  3. island_rob

island_rob LawnSite Member

Thanks 04Turf, It will be my first commercial mower, I have a snapper21, but I want to get into it. My only problem is the money .
  4. roger miller

roger miller LawnSite Member

You should be able to finance exmark equipment.
  5. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I know where you're coming from, I'd either finance it like he said.... or you could just buy an older model belt drive exmark or scag and use it this year and then sell it at the end of the season and by then you will have the money to buy what ever you are wanting..... That's what I did, 3 years ago bought an old exmark metro, for 1,000 bucks, used it for a year then bought a 2004 turf tracer HP, with ECS, I love this mower.........
  6. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

lot's of people said that to me when i went to get my first exmark ... i haven't stopped regretting it !

anyway demo both machines and find out what one you like better.
    both are good machines < my god that hurts to say about an exmark > and they both should hold up to just about any abuse you can dish out.
  7. opher

opher LawnSite Member

Go hydro, just got ex-mark tt 48'' with a 17 kaw, it cuts awesome. easy to finance. $5999 with bagger,stripe kit and velky.

:weightlifter: opher