1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Getting Started

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Fresh Cut 518, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Fresh Cut 518

Fresh Cut 518 LawnSite Member

He guys, this is my very first post. I have been reading a lot off this site for the past two weeks or so. I have learned a lot and hope to keep learning.
    I have been working for a landscaper for the fast 5 years. Now that I am just starting my own business I need customers. I plan on going through about 10 neighborhoods in my general area (10mi or so) and handing out flyers and talking to homeowners when the snow starts to melt. My goal is 40 lawns at about $30-$40 for my first year. This flyer I am posting is the one I am going to hand out to only 3 of the 10 neighborhoods I have been looking at. I am offering a free spring cleanup for a summer mowing service. My question is this. Am I crazy for doing this? Remember this: The yards in these 3 neighborhoods are very small. I don’t mind working for free if it will pay in the long run.

Thanks Chris

Attached Files:

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I think that the flyer looks pretty good, however I would not offer a free spring cleanup. I would not offer a free anything. Your time and services are worth money. A discount would be fine but not free. Just my opinion. Hope it helps. If you got any other questions, just ask.
  3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

That flyer looks familiar to one that I recently saw posted here. I would definetley not give a free spring clean-up, maybe 1 free mowing for signing a seasonal commitment contract. The free cut given after the 4th paid mowing, so the fifth mowing is free. I wouldn't give more than that, then your likely to be screwed when someone gets their free spring clean-up and dumps ya the next mowing. just my .02
  4. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck to you, and I get to be the first to get him.. Before the wolves of this site get you, are you going to dig those weeds out with a shovel or are you going to get a license? Just warning you. Oh and your time is worth something. Later down the road you can throw a few freebies in.
  5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I say try to learn on your own, At 16 me and a friend did a lot of landscaping haulint tree trimming mowing etc. We made more in Saturday morning the the others working at Mc Donalds did in 2 weeks
  6. Fresh Cut 518

Fresh Cut 518 LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys For The Advice. Thats What A Lot Of People Said. I Guess I Just Wanted Someone To Tell Me That Is Was Not A Bad Idea. I Just Want Some Early Contracts. And I Do Plan On Getting A License To Carry Weed Killer. I'll Be 100% Up To Par By April 1st.
  7. Lawnvision

Lawnvision LawnSite Member

Definitely NO to the free clean up! My first year in business we were really busy and gave away nothing...we still barely made any money. Be patient, work ethic and quality services will help you grow quicker than freebies.
  8. zima

zima LawnSite Member

that is not a good way to start a bus . sell your services do a good job and work will come
  9. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

Wow Slow down there man....Well i guess your right but don't dis mcdonalds. I know if sounds wierd but I mow durring the summer and work at mcdonaldss durring the winter. I actualy just got off work. But it pays good for an hourly wage...i get $9.25 an hr...which for my age (18) and the local minimum wage ($5.25) I do pretty good.
  10. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i like the flyer with the exeption of the blue box in the logo
    try a dark green or orange/gold like the oval in the logo

I agree with these guys on giving away stuff

A good customer i throw an occasional bone

a new customer.... they don't get anything