just getting started

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zippy-phil, Sep 4, 2012.

1. zippy-phil

zippy-phil LawnSite Member

OK so I am Phil. My friends next door neighbor had an ex boyfriend that left her a nice cub cadet zero turn. My friend has the weed wacker, blower, edger truck an trailer. I have been out finding us jobs. we live 20 min. away from each other and are finding most jobs near my house, not his. BTW he has no drivers licence right now, so when he gets to my house i usually drive after that. any thoughts and soulotions?

Should I branch out on my own?
    I still can't get the job done on my own.
    Sometimes we don't get out earlier enough.

I really want this to work.

2. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

With margins so tight in a start up company I couldn't imagine having a partner. I worked a regular job plus ran the business for three years before I could even quit my regular job. Keep this in mind, how many people you know in any field that went into business with someone else and after five years they are still in business together?

3. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

How many accounts do you have now? I did not hire until the acres of turf to mowed became overwhelming. I think it was around 35 jobs, the properties here are averaging 1/3 acre.

4. He drives to your house with no license? That should work out well for you

5. upkeeplawnscape

upkeeplawnscape LawnSite Member

How many accounts have u gotten that u cant do it alone? The only way u can make money in this business starting out is alone unless maybe u have some other income. Maybe u could rent the equipmentfrom him for a bit? Then once u get to where u cant finish all ur accounts by urself in 6 days working 10 hrs u can hire someone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. upkeeplawnscape

upkeeplawnscape LawnSite Member

Sorry just realized u dont even have a truck..maybe work for someone else until u can slowly buy all of ur equipment
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. zippy-phil

We are about to head out now. So far We got 4 accounts. all in my area. I really don't think I could handle it without some one as we are usually mowing a jungle, a very neglected yard. I agree with the driving. I am not too happy with it but I/we both need $$$. I can get money on my own to do a rent-to-own type thing, if i really had to.

8. zippy-phil

It is 9.8 miles each way from his house to mine. we each pay half of the gas for that day. $35 total on Sunday. I forgot to mention we also pay $5-$10 each to "rent" the cub cadet.

9. i wouldn't change anything, sounds like you two have a good plan.

10. zippy-phil

another note too, we have been cutting lawns that are 2-3 feet for $100 or so. Big corner lots. I tried to pick those types out. my thought is i stick a sign in their lawn. there is usually 4-5 more house within eye sight of the corner lot. chances are IMO 2-3 of those people will ask you to cut theirs too.