1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just got a case 1840 and want to put over tire tracks on

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by syzer, Apr 26, 2005.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a case 1840 skid steer with 1800 hours on it in pretty good shape. I was looking at the mclaren industries tracks for it, however today a friend of mine told me these will destroy your skid steer. This doesn't make much sense to me, I would think if this were the case no one would use them.

Is there any truth to this? I obviously don't want to harm my skid steer in anyway, but would like the advantage of tracks. He also told me there is a company out there selling a kit now to completely replace your tires and make it a track machine. Is this true? If so does anyone have any info?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

rental company uses them all the time.. no problems yet
  3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

There is no problem with running tracks on your 1840. The system your refering to is made by Loegren. The CASE 1840 is a solid machine. I have had 6 of them over the years.
  4. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

I have a 1840 with tracks also.....track over tires are popular here.

I'm not sure i would replace them with a track system though....would probably be expensive.

Might as well trade the whole machine if your going to spend that much. :)
  5. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

I've got over the tire tracks and love them. The dealer did discuss with me that they put more stress on your drive components of your loader. And you can tell the loader strains a little with tracks.

I try to run my machine without them as much as possible, to reduce the stress on the machine. That being said, the tracks are still on about 1/2 the time. I take my tracks on and off at least once a week. My jobs are totally different from one day to the next. Sometimes I'm doing some digging where I need the extra traction, and other days I'm grading a yard where I've got to go over a driveway multiple times, and steel tracks are a definate no no.

I heard of a guy that did snow removal with skidloader and steel tracks,doing a small subdivision. Why a skidloader for a subdivision I'll never know. Anyway he used the steel tracks on the road all day, and tore up the asphalt where it had to be replaced. He only had 100K liability ins. and that didn't cover it.

I think most people are smarter than to use steel tracks on concrete and blacktop, but there are a select few.

My point is, is that I take them on and off alot. I'm done!
  6. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

Just want to clarify if metal tracks are driven on pavement, say, doing 360's,
    that the pavement won't stand a chance? How are they for straight ahead driving? I'm considering some for a "demo" for an upcoming job that's pretty sloppy. This will involve repeated trips across the driveway and turning on the road.
  7. syzer

Thanks for the input guys!

KSSS, do you have any info on the Loegren track system? I cannot find info on it anywhere on the net.

Thanks again!
  8. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

Here you go syzer. Loegering Website

Their new VTS system looks great, but pricey. You could equip your skidsteer with the VTS for about the same price as a MTL, but still be able to have a tire machine when you needed one.
  9. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

"badranman" I'm not sure I would do that with repeated trips espeacially over driveways. I'll do it on the street sometimes, espeacially on older blacktop. Even going straight back and straight forward you still scratch the road a bit but not to bad, but I think by the time you go back and forth over and area you will definately see it scratched up. I'm extremely careful with the steel tracks. I won't run over a driveway until the owner says ok and that he knows there will be damage, wich never happens.
  10. syzer

Thanks Terra.......OMG! 15k? Am I crazy for thinking thats crazy? I just picked up my 1840 for 11k, that would make my investment 26k, I could have bought a nice cat 257 for that. If they were a bit more reasonable I may have been all over it.

Thanks again!