Just got a flyer in the mail...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by velocicaur, Nov 9, 2005.

1. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

I received a flyer in the mail today about plowing services and mowing/fertilization for next year.

Full season double driveway for plowing: $200
    Full season double driveway w/ shoveling: $315

Full season Full service: $960 (80/mo)
    Cut/trim/edge/blow may-october. 5 Aplications of fertilizer/weed control

So, 315 for plowing, 645 left for mowing + fert. Trugreen at our house is 200 or so a year. 445 for a full season of mowing?

I have not started yet, but was seriously thing about it. My prices were quite a bit higher than that, offering similar services. I'm now glad that I received this, because I can now look for a new venture to take part in. :dizzy:

How could someone compete with that? I'd be better off letting them do my own yard.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

no way in hell i'm shoveling snow for $315 all winter. maybe they're counting on it being like last year with the scarce 2 storms you guys had.

Now, I might do something like that in florida. I once heard of a guy who offered free snow plowing to his lawn care customers, however this was in Key West :)
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Guys it's called volume, and eliminating competiton
  4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

There is a difference between volume pricing and not even covering your costs. I have some small yards where I just mow/edge/weedeat/blow maybe trime a few hedges and get $90 a month. I thought I was too cheap, can't imagine throwing in snow removal and fert. for $10 less a month. My prices are going up Jan. 1st. In the winter I may come by once a month for 30min to mulch leaves. I would take him up on the offer for doing my yard. It's only going to help put him out of business faster. Besides, I think it would be pretty funny to hire him. If he asks why, tell him "It would cost me more than you are charging to have my crew do it."
  5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The best thing to do is to find an excuse to give up before you even get started. That way you will never fail.

Common excuses include the following:

Lowballers are driving prices down.

There is too much competition.

Dealer support is no good.

Prices are low in my area.

It is hard to find good help.

Somebody stole all of my advertising signs.

These are just for starters. You can make up more as you see fit.