1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Just got a Permagreen today

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Just picked up one today. Looking for any words of wisdom from those who have used them.

What should I do before putting it into production?

I assume you might say to use it on my own property to get the hang of it.

2. Chunkster27

Chunkster27 LawnSite Member

You will definitely want to get used to it before you start doing apps with it. I had a little trouble at first, but when you get the hang of it you will be fine. :cool2:

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

About a week ago I picked up a new (to me) PG Ultra. I'm gonna spend a day or so practicing on my own lawn before I turn myself loose on someone else's.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

youl love it run it as much as u can to get the hang of it and rember it handles different when full of fert and water

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

few hrs. on your own lawn and you will have it..
    spreading granular that is...
    as for the liquid..practice on your driveway with water..

did u get a Reese rack or are u using a trailer?

6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Here is some maintenance tips.

Armorall or wax the plastic plates under the impellor. The fert doesn't stick quite as bad.
    Keep all the levers and cables lubed.
    tear off the plastic wrap from the trans axle, all it does is trap fert and corrode the case.
    Air filter maintenance is a must!
    I really like my Ultra and haven't had any serious problems so far.

I fabricated a hopper lid out of light angle steel and put in a acrylic window in it and addded a gasket to seal it. It is held on with rubber strap/cleats.
    I made the whole thing for less than $40. The nylon shower caps just keep coming apart so this should work a lot longer.
    I*'ll post some pics when I get a chance.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

thats a great idea for the lid

8. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

It will take you a good 10 hrs to get the hang of it on flat groung. Hills will be a lot hands on. Use a lot of caution until you get the hang of it. I love it. I can fert or spray all day and still not be tired when I get home.

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I also went with the PG rack.

The rack seems to work fine but I'm not too thrilled with the bolt and strap method of securing the PG. Doing that all day long won't be very efficient, so I expect to come up with a few mods eventually.

10. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Words of Wisdom....Give it back!!! It's junk! Don't use it on anyones property especially your own.