Just got an eXmark. Mulch kit?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MikeNSX, May 1, 2004.

1. MikeNSX

MikeNSX LawnSite Member

I just got a two year old LaserZ with 60" deck and 25HP Kawasaki engine. It has 650 hours and is freshly serviced by an eXmark dealer. I paid $5K. How did I do?

I mow about 2.5 acres around my house. I'm not using it commercially. I replaced a Cub Cadet Z-54 zero turn which I didnk't like because it left allot of grass on top of the lawn. Should I expect the eXmark to do a much better job of hiding the clippings? I plan to side discharge.

I can get a mulching kit put on for $175. Is that fair? Do they work well? I'm looking for a nice cut without seeing clumps of grass.

Thanks.
    a newbie
    MikeC

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there Mike, sounds like you got a pretty fair deal on it. If you get some of the excaliber blades for side discharging i think you will be very happy with the finish it leaves. Not sure how the mulch kit works on northern grasses other than fescue, but i can tell you on bermuda, zoysia and fescue it does awesome.

I've had customers think i bagged their grass when running the mulch kit. You might jump over to the network with people from your area section and see if anyone with a lazer and mulch kit is in your area. maybe you can meet up with them and view how one works in person. i think you'll like it.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I think I paid about that for my mulch kit. Not that you can really compare northern grass to ours, but I am very impressed with it. I actually bought it for the leaves and stuff that constantly fall in the late winter and early spring. I figured I would have to pull it off once we got into late spring and summer, but I am not sure now. We actually had a couple lawns with fairly heavy growth last week and it did just fine. One homeowner had fertilized and water apparently everyday last week and the bahia had 5 to 6 inches of growth on it. It was extremely moist, but it cut right through it without much slowing down. I was also shocked at the lack of grass buildup under the deck. This week should be the test, it rained about 6 inches in the last two days!

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

You'll probably see a reduction in the size of clippings even while side discharging.

I'm a big fan of mulching but it can be difficult to mulch northern grasses in the spring. It can be done but you must understand the limitations. I mulch year round and I have bluegrass/fescue mix and I don't have much problem. I do however need to stay on top of my cuttings in the spring and make sure I'm not letting the grass get too long.

If you have any other questions give me a call at 800-667-5296.

Thanks,

Terry