just got back from tda test

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by newmoonfarm, May 18, 2005.

1. newmoonfarm

newmoonfarm LawnSite Member

i just walked in the door from taking the texas 3a test.
    i felt like i was in over my head, but i scored pretty well (89 general,84 ea on the laws and lawn).
    i'll send off my fee tomorrow (and talk to my insurer) so i'll be ready to go.
    now i have to research how to price out applications.
    i believe this will really open up some new doors for our business.
    if we don't starve this winter i think we'll be in good shape to grow next season.
    thanks for the inspiration to take the exam and get going on pest.
  2. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on passing your test :)

Now do yourself a favor and read read read......learn as much as you can and you will no doubt be ready to break the bank next season :waving:
  3. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Congrats on passing your test.. It feels good.... Stay with all the updates :cool2:
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++and talk to my insurer++++

Your insurance company will enjoy that call. We pay a LOT more for liability in Texas than they do in the rest of the country. I'm paying 4% of payroll for liability. Worker's comp is another 8%. I dropped the worker's comp this spring...too expensive. Liability isn't an option if you do pesticide apps.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. newmoonfarm

newmoonfarm LawnSite Member

i'm going to start with farm bureau, does anyone have any suggestions for carriers in texas?
    i'm already starting to feel over whelmed. when this spring rolled around my wife and i thought "gee, a little lawn care company would be a nice addition to our farm/nursery business".
    this simple idea has morphed into a full blown business, like it had a life of its own. i do believe now more than ever that we made a good choice, but i would have never been anything more than a scrub with out you guys help.
    i've gotten so much education about this business from y'all its been unreal.
    pest apps never even crossed our minds, but i'm already getting people asking me when i can get started.