Just Got Burned!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowJo, Jan 23, 2002.

1. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

:angry: I just found out one of my commercial contract customers filed CHAPTER 11 in December! So no more MONEY unless some court decides to throw me a bone (I won't be holding my Breath) some day.

Mowing season seems pretty far away right now.
  2. Fivestar

Fivestar LawnSite Member

Those %#&*^%$#*
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Welcome to the club.
  4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

That kind of sux!! Especially when no one tells you til a month and a half later after you have done work during that period. Is there any way you can take out a lean on any property they may own? Anything you think will go up for auction so you can be guarenteed you hard earned money?
  5. I guess that's a benifit of billing per service visit, monthly invoicing.
  6. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

OK, I'm a little calmer now (but not much).

Has anybody had a customer file Chapter 11? If so, is there anything I can do to collect my money?

F.Y.I. The customer is a franchise of a national hotel.

Another thought: This hotel is located in a major technology park I maintain. If they survive and I cut them loose, I'll open the door for a competitor right smack in the middle of our best job!

If we continue to work for them what would be the best way to structure future payments.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"I'll open the door for a competitor right smack in the middle of our best job! "

Big deal. Let someone else work for free, unless you get off on that kind of thing...
  8. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem this fall. The account was a plastic surgeon who lost most of his business after the 9/11 attack. I guess people dont want face lifts when we are at war. Anyway, they paid up but I am keeping in touch and hoping all will work out. Remember chapter 11 doesn't mean they are going out of business, it's just a legal status to change their financial situation. If you can you should be as nice to them as possible in the hope of keeping their business, unless you dont want the account anyway. It would suck big time to make a big stink out of getting paid and then have to watch some other dude making money on your account next season. If you find out for sure they are closing down then go for it, liens, lawyers whatever.
  9. kristopher l kave

kristopher l kave LawnSite Member

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just be glad u not the one doing the 11. hang loose,
    u may get the money in time.later now