Just got mower today????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Apr 22, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I just got my 1st walk behind mower today ( EXMARK 48" Metro).
    -What is the best way to make turns when cutting so i won't make little dimples in the lawn with my wheels.?
    -Can i run a mulch kit all the time?
    - Is there a special pattern to follow as a rule of thumb when cutting lawns.?
    THANKS i am just starting out !!!!!
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad you bought a mower....finalsy. Is I hydro or belt?
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats Kona,

When turning make sure the inside wheel of the turn keeps rotating, if it stops the turf will tear and little dead spots will appear in a week or two. If you turn left the right wheel will be going faster than the left wheel, and opposite for a right turn.

You can leave your mulch kit as long as it is not bogging down. I personally remove it during Summer.

Alternate mowing directions. Search "stripes" for good tips on them.

Good luck
  4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i've got a question on similar lines as this one...

you guys that lay stripes, how do you get the stripes to look so straight even when you have a tree in your path? i don't get how you can keep the lines perfect... what's the secret?
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Around here dimples are known as fish eyes. If you have a Metro it must be a belt drive. To make turns the correct way you must keep both wheels turning. If you are not using a stand on device like a Turf Rider or Jungle wheel then all you need to do is turn without your inside wheel locking from the brake. Try to keep the inside wheel in a "neutral position" with your pistol grip. When you get to mid or three quarters through the turn just pull back on the "inside" and you will be able to turn the mower on its axis. You can try this in your drive way until you get the hang of it. You will actually be doing a “zero turn“. Some people call this a three point turn. This will not scuff the grass.

If you have any stand on accessory you must still keep the both wheels in motion. When you get to the turn slow down and do a U shaped turn with both wheels moving forward. The inside wheel should only move slightly during the turn.

The Key to all turns is your inside wheel.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, this is true.:)
  7. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats Kona! That's my first WB also. Great machine.

AEIL, it's hard explain without drawing it, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Let's say you are striping a lawn that takes you 10 stripes. #1 stripe runs North to South on the east side of property. ( stay with me). So #1 stripe is on the East side and your final stripe,#10, will be on the West.

#1 down...#2 back...#3 you come to a tree(here's the trick). Go around the tree on the side with the uncut grass if you can not fit an entire stripe on the side you have been cutting.( West in this case ) and then meet up with your stripe on the other side. Now, when you come back the opposite way on stripe #4, you will not have to go around the tree, instead you will cover #3's crooked stripe with #4 and it will appear as though you drove your mower right through the tree!

This technique will leave more weedeating because it does not allow you to make a "ring" around the tree by going in a circle with your machine.

Does this make any sense at all, cause it sounded alot better when I was thinking it. Well, I tried.
  8. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i cant ever turn sharp enuff w/out completely stopping the inside wheel sometimes?

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Congrats Kona on your eXmark.

Best thing my husband Matt did for me was take me out in an open field to practice over and over. At different speeds, mowing straight, setting up cones for me to go around, making sharp turns etc.
    I liked the open field because there was no pressure if I made a mistake.
    That was the best way for me to learn to gain my confidence.
  10. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Belt-drive walkbehind
    Quite simple, but it is going to involve getting off your velky if you have one. As you come to the very end of the "row", and lets say you want to turn to your left to make the next cut going back...start to turn your mower to the left, about 45-60 degrees from your original, straight line of cutting, make sure both wheels are still turning through this first part of the turn. Now, here comes the muscle part...well kinda...squeeze up on the pistols...or whatever system you have...to the nuetral position, this will allow your wheels move freely, even while you are still in gear. Pull back on the machine, and turning the front of the machine more to the left. You will find that often times you can use the slope of the ground to help you pull it back, but not always. Now release your drive system to engage those belts and turn a little more until you driving down the next row. I hope this helps, what I wish I could do is just post a little video. Once you get it down, its second nature(with no divots) until then, you will curse and swear at them damn divots! I dont think you can make a complete 180 turn (no divots) without getting off you velky...because you need to PULL it back. Hope all this helps, sorry if it sounds confusing.