1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Just got my DOT #- now what?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tadams, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my DOT #'s today- now what do I do? I found on the web site where I need to have a fire extinguisher and safety triangles but what else do I need? I was told by a buddy that I need a medical card and an inspection sticker for the truck. I was also told that I need a break-away kit with a charger on the trailer. Do I need this stuff and anything else? I have looked all over the website (it is very confusing) and I haven't found anything like this. Here is my info:

Live in GA
    1/2 ton truck
    tandem axle trailer

Do I need any or all of this stuff? I looked in the GA DOT site and it had no info about any of this.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

You need all that plus the number on the truck, federal inspection sticker, plus the company name and city on the truck in the approproiate area, driver daily logs, driver daily inspection reports, Inspectoin sticker for the trailer, electric breaks with backup breakaway kit, MSDS of everything you are carrying, etc...etc...

Try looking onthe federal DOT sites they have a weatlh of info.

3. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

What is the purpose of a DOT #? I'm fairly new to many regulations, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Government oversight.

5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

ck out www.dot.gov/regulations.html Just got my numbers Trucks/ trailers have been inspected, medical card on myperson fire exts on board as well as triangles and all the paper work in a note book on board the truck , waiting on the sign place to get the trucks done ( lettered and numbers in place ) and we will be fully compliant in a day

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

first of you dont need a dot number unless you pull a great deal of wieght. if you just have an f 150 or 250 and a landscape trailer you dont need it . that # only lets the feds track you closer.

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

it seems to be the "in thing" to get nowadays on this site...

8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

It isnt the in thing to do , in In its the law anyone with a combined gvwr over 10000 pounds and is in business has to have one which as GRASSBUSTER has said so many times if you are pulling a dual axle with anything but a small car then you are screwed and you will have to have a Number on your truck If you dont believe me just dont do and see what happens Go to the commercial mowing forum and punch in DOT numbers in the search feature and i bet theres 4 hrs worth a reading on this issue alone . Believe me its been a hassel going thru all this crap . I dont want to see anyone get pulled over and fined but on the same hand if i have to comply then everyone else should to .In our district last week which is 5 countys it seemed like the were having a D.O.T. convention as i been told they were 42 of them working the roads.

9. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

don't forget inspection sheets, driver test, driving records of each driver, and etc. we just went to a lawn care show on wed. & they had a dot speaker there. was helpful. let's see what else.....no gas can bigger than 8 gallons....everything has to be strapped down where it won't fly out. maintance logs for truck & trailer, inspection sheets, i have a whole list if you guys need it just send me a note....i am getting ready to go out to do some work, or i would take time to list it all now.

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the posts. It is very helpful.

Topdog- can you post a list or email the list of all the reguirements that are needed? This is also a stupid question but where do you get all of the truck and trailer check sheets at and who, when, and where do you have them inspected?

I can understand that some think this is "in" thing to do but I think it is the "right thing to do. That's kinda like saying insurance and licenses are the "in " thing to do. I do agree that it is "silly" thing to HAVE to do but you still HAVE to do it.