Just got my stihl 4 mix kombi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Sep 1, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I just got my stihl 4 mix yesterday. It's really solid, but is going to take time for the power to build up according to the manual. It sounds different from any other handheld I've used. And it idles real low like it's going to shut off but runs good. I've done some hegdes so far and like it much better than the echo hc150. Any tips on breaking it in and using it? Thanks

2. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have no problem with having to wait for power to build up. Could be you are not use to the sound? Try using the Stihl HP Ultra oil. It is a synthetic and the tests I have seen are impressive. If it continues to run rough take it in.
    Enjoy.

3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

it will need a valve adjustment in a couple of weeks the dealer should do this for free when it starts lacking in power

4. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Only if you feel a loss in power. Havent felt one yet. Over 100 hrs on unit.:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

that is correct !!!

6. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I used mine for a long time and when it started to lose power, I removed the screen off the muffler, fired it up and it blew black smoke and went right back to full power. I then removed the screens from all my handhelds, the guys on here who say to take them off were correct.

7. FinalCut05

FinalCut05 LawnSite Member

Mine took a few tanks of fuel to break it in. I didn't use it at full power until then and It starts and runs great. I don't think, even in the heavyest growth, ive used it full thottle. So much torque down low ne ways. Just my .02.

8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

It did cost $800 for the head and three attachments. Does that sound right?
    btw, are the 4 mix backpacks any good?