Just got

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mole, Mar 3, 2004.

1. mole

mole LawnSite Member

A flyer stuffed in my mail box offering lawn service for 13.00 a cut. Now this guy sees my truck parked in my driveway with my magnet on the sides. Now I have to ans all the calls in my neighborhood about this. I won't go out of my house for lees than 30.00 a cut. I hate this crap how can he make money. He says he's ins. I hate these fly by nights. :angry:
  2. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

He's probably insured for like $100. Just because he says he's insured doesn't mean he has $300,000 of liability insurance!

These guys just make me sick.
    He'll probably be out of business by mid summer, but some of those guys seem to stay in business a while. I wish there was some way to make the general public more aware of these guys and that they are not legal businesses.
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have more than that...that won't even cover an eye these days.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

It is relatively cheap to upgrade from 3 or 500,000 to 1million---everyone should do at least that.
  5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

very true,
    with the minimum coverage rates with my insurance carrier, the fee for $300,000 is the same as $500,000, and $1,000,000 is only $38 more! Seems like a no brainer to me, but I feel your pain!
    I'd call him up and ask him to come out and do some estimates on your house. Not that you'd actually use him, but can get an idea for about how long he'll be around by the info he gives you!
  6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Depends on his aggregate.He may have 300,000/600,000 agg.,which means that they would cover a one time catastrophic event at 600,000 or 300,000 for each claim.
    Probably get dropped with a 300,000 claim though,but that's the least of your worries if that happens.
  7. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

My advice to you.

Focus on what you do best. Either he'll fiz out or he'll fiz out. Guys like this come a dime a doozen. Just do your thing.

Good customers know the real companies from the shady ones.
  8. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

I know how you feel. I take care of the common area in my development. It takes me about 4hrs and thats with a 72in Dixie and quite a bit of weedeating, especially around the pond. I charge them 250.00 well this year a guy in my neighborhood bought a hustler 60in and he put a bid in at 150.00 and he said if he gets it he will then get insurance. To top it off another company bid it at 135.00 a cut I couldnt believe it. So I pretty much said what ever happens happens Im not gonna sweat it!
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

For $13 I would consider sub-contracting this guy out. I might even look for new business outside your route and do this.
  10. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

thats a new low, the lowest flyers ive seen around here is $15 and thats crazy! Maybe it doesnt include trimming? LOL Maybe we should start charging separate for trimming, thats probably how these scrubs are doing it so cheap! Whats next $12 ?