Just have to share this story...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Have a mowing customer and this is the first year I have this $45 account and the first year they have had an LCO... As of July 1 I had still not recieved a payment, was owed $360 and was a little nervous about this being a deadbeat... Because of the dry weather, skipped it 3 weeks without mowing and during that time I called a few times with no call returned.. Showed up last week and had decided I wasn't going to mow it again until I recieved payment as they were now 30 days past due..

I walk up to the door and I see an envelope with my name on it taped to the front door.. Inside was a signed BLANK check with the amount blank as well, with a note attached saying she didn't know how I wanted the check made out.. There was also a note asking me to make out the check for whatever I owed them as they wouldn't be back until Aug 13, the note was dated 6/28... So for a month she had a signed, blank check taped to her front door!!!!
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and you being a good and honest lco filled in the correct amount, you will have her for a customer forever.

(very cool) but risky on her part..... paper boy takes it and..
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I had a customer like that. I didn't recieve a payment after several bills, no returned calls, nothing. So I stopped doing it. It got up to waist high. Now one day at school (teachers understand how I am in business) my mom calls and tells me she is going to be at the house later that day to give me the money! She lives in a condo in Manchester but keeps the house for some reason. So as soon as I got home I had to rush to do the job, before she came. Not surprisingly, she never showed. I did get a check though for $250 to cover some of it. The rest she still owes me. SUCKS!
  4. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Goes without saying, but you gotta nail down the core aspects of the agreement when you contract with the customer! Maybe you did and in that case, that is a scary story..... how some people just do stuff like that without any warning.
  5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

You must be really trusted. I want my customers to do that. Not really.
  6. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

So now the question is, did you really 'skip' those 3 or 4 weeks??:laugh:
  7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Of course. He is an honest and honorable midwesterner. :)