1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just how good are mulch kits?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I mulch and bag my leaves, depending on the yard. I have seen more and more mulch kits around here. Do they really work that well? Do the leaves get mulched so fine that they are practically dust? It just seems hard to believe. Also, depending on the amount (or thickness) of the leaf cover, will a mulch kit usually do the job in one pass?
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I love my mulch kit during growing season(except crab and dallas grass). It does not work as well as I thought it would with with leaves. I have to go over the bigger piles 4 or 5 times to get the them down to about 1/4" pieces. The mulch blades do not seem to have enough lift to cut those tall crabgrass stringers, but if I run doubles high lifts and mulchers it seems to work great except for all the blowout. You can't run to much lift or you will have blowout which is not good at all doing leaves. I have not tried gators or different mulch blade except for the factory exmark wavy blade. If someone who has run gators and the mulch kit can help clarify if they work better.
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I've got the Toro mulch kit installed with regular cutting blades.Quality of mulch depends on the leaves.Red Oak leaves get mulched to nothing in one pass.Bradford Pear leaves.......gone.Dogwood leaves..........gone.The hardest leaves I've found to mulch are White Oak.They're too darn slick and must just be sliding around instead of actually getting cut.Also,they stick to the ground.I went over some three times yesterday and finally got them mulched to dust. That was alot of dust though.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Using mulch kit and doubles.
    Don't have to pick up any leaves, looks like I've just used a 36" vacuum it chops them up so fine.
  5. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

We did a leaf cleanup yesterday, could not get the mowers onto the yard due to shrubs and trees, there was no yard (grass) come to think of it, anyways we blew all the leaves from the dirt onto the driveway, now the driveway had maybe 2-3 foot in leaves and I did not want to take the walker through all of it because of the multiple trips to unload in the trailer, so I had my helper run over it a few times with my hustler 37" (mulch kit and gator blades), I was amazed at how fine it cut the leaves on concrete, not many trips to the trailer with the walker after that.

The point of this long winded post is that yes mulch kit and gators are fantastic on leaves.

Another note, I now know that the walker will vacuum a tennis court clean, that yellow machine ceases to amaze me.
  6. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

the mulch kit i had on my viking hydro worked great, never had any problems, i didnt like sharpening the wavy blades as much as straight ones though with leaves it would really suck them up and then i dont know where they went :rolleyes: i never tried doubles or diff blades though.
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

This is my first year mulching. As long as the leaves are dry you will be fairly amazed at how well they work. I "do" blow the lawn when I'm done mulching, but when I'm done it's looks like the lawn has been vacuumed. As long as there is the normal amount of ground covers and/or evergreens to hide the dust on your properties, I think you'll be very happy with the results.
    One lawn that took six 44 gallon cans to remove debris, now takes only 1. Overall, the $80/$90 investment for the mulch kit is well worth trying. I use double highlifts......
  8. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a kit on my 737 and i dont like the blades. not enough lift. other than that it works fine.
  9. riden2low

riden2low LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I have been running mulch kits on both of my Exmarks 36 inchers. Been doing it for 5 years now. Even in the wet weather that we have here in the North west, I still mulch. If it is pouring down rain, then it is no. Yes you may have to go over the turf a second time but it beats the hell out of digging the clippings out of your truck. The trick is to make you customers understand the benfits of muching and recycling.
  10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I run doubles, and it takes me quite a few passes to mulch the leaves. (no kit yet) and I have a lot of lawn dust. Sometimes I have to blow the yard to spread them out, then do one more pass at a different angle to disperse them to my liking.

Lawn dust...........good for the lawn, but can too much be bad for the lawn?