Just how important is the dealer?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Redeemed, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Redeemed

Redeemed LawnSite Member

Hey guys, when shopping for a new mower, just how important is a local dealer? In my town we have a Toro, Grasshopper, Exmark and a Snapper dealer. The only dealer that seems to keep a decent inventory of mowers and parts is the Toro dealer. Is that reason enough to steer me towards the Toro and away from the others? Thanks for your opinions.

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO the dealer is the most important thing. Mine (Toro) cannot be beat. If I have a problem he sends a mechanic to me with a loaner. If he cannot fix it in the field he drops me the loaner and takes mine to the shop. Get this service for mowers both in and out of warranty. Never a charge for a loaner. But it is rare that we have a problem. Toro's are very well built. There is a reason most golf courses use them.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Service. Remember it will need to be worked on at some point no matter what it is.

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Dealer is most important. Honestly, most of the equipment is very similar. I stopped buying John Deere mowers simply because the local dealer is a donkey's rearend.

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Extremely important. A good dealer can make you or break you at times. There's a local dealer that left me sitting when I started out for 6 weeks on a warranty job! I take all of my major stuff either to my mower dealer (an hour away) or to another local dealer that's also a competitor. B & F, Inc. (the mower dealer) usually has us ready next day, maybe two.

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Like everyone else said, the dealer is one of the most important parts of your business. Equally important as which brand you choose, is which dealer you choose.
    If you're broken down, and have to wait behind "Harry Homeowner" to get your machine fixed, you're screwed. If old Harry Homeowner's broke down for two weeks, he hires you. If you are broke down for two weeks...
    Choose your dealer carefully.
    Crawdad