Just installed a new timer, anyone familar with intellisense

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Broker, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Just installed a new intellisense sp? timer yesterday, is anyone familar with them?

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not but maybe someone else is. Is this a newer SMART controller? Post brand and model which would be a great aid.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Looks kind of like the old X-10 household automation system, if it communicates through the powerlines. Is this a standalone installation? Or have you installed an interface device to run the sprinkler valves, from the already-installed Intellisense controller?

4. Broker

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmmm, a quick googling of "intellisense" brought up Leviton's home automation system (which also handles sprinklers) - The Toro controller looks interesting. Can it slide the cycle starting time back during drought conditions? (so that longer running times don't conflict with early morning showering?)

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

When setting up the controller you select a water window, a time frame of 6 hrs to 23 hrs 59min during which watering will occur.
    You can also set a high ET start time. From Toro manual:"If daily calculated Et rate is higher than can be replenished in one run cycle of scheduled stations, the High ET start time will enable the stations which require additional irrigation..."

7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Intelli-Sense is available as a 6, 9, or 12 station indoor or outdoor controller.
    TIS-12-OD is the 12 station outdoor model.
    TIS-9-ID is the 9 station indoor model and so on.

I plan on installing one for myself next spring. Toro sent me the complete operating manual when I asked for info on Intelli-Sense.
    The same controller is marketed under the Irritrol name.

The monthly service fee for the weather data is $4. The first year's monthly service fees are included with the purchase price. (And maybe the 2nd year, I forget)

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

It's probably a "smart" controller that meets the Smart Water Application Technologies (SWAT) standards.

9. Why not use this type of smart controller vs a pay as you go service:
    WEATHERMATIC SMARTLINE
    4 STA MOD E T CONTROLLER($90 with 4 station module, each 4 st. module around $30)
    WEATHERMATIC SMARTLINE COMMERCIAL WEATHER MONITOR ($180) Of course, that's wholesale price that I pay.

I will be installing this timer at my own home in Manteca, CA. Will be checking if it really does save water usage.

In stead of relying on a pay weather service, this unit has it's own weather monitor. Will let you guys know how easy it is to install and operate. Could be a good up-sell since more and more communities are requiring these s.m.a.r.t. watering controllers.
    John

10. Broker

The timer you are talking about uses a five year history of your local weather. In Cleveland the summers are not predictable so I feel that it is not a viable option. And the pay service is a blessing if looked at in the right angle. Also after the first two years of subscription are free if I don't like it then I am not going to pay the $48 per a year, but if it works great it would be a steal at even $150 per a year. Also my local supplier priced that system out between 400 and 500. It looks like you are getting a lot better of a deal then I would.