Just Joined- Need advice on Commercial 21s

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Church2224, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking into some used John Deere mowers, I actually have an old JX75 in my shed right now, great machine. I have found a couple of 14SBs for sale in my area but they are not in good condition at all.

I have looked into the WE80 and WE85, they look like pretty good mowers, but I have not seen them in person yet nor have I heard much about them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. OldMan56

OldMan56 LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried out the eXmark Metro 26?

3. Church2224

Some one I talked to on another forum said he had a 26 and so far he likes it. Also my Exmark dealer says they have moved a lot of the Metro 26s in recent years and he says people love them. I have also seen some crews around where I live using them, so that has got to say something. They had some issues the first couple of years they were made but it appears they have had these issues resolved. I actually plan on getting one myself in the future.

4. LawnMastersTN

LawnMastersTN LawnSite Senior Member

The SBs are good mowers too I love the SX I have because its an all aluminum deck and I love the 5.5 Kawi on it. Easiest starting mower I have ever seen and never bogged it down to where it died on me. The SXs are alot harder to find than the SBs but they are pretty much the same, just some paint and plastic wheels and adjustments

5. Church2224

I wish I could find an SX or a JX85/JX75 in great condition, John Deere knew what they were doing when they made those mowers. What is the difference between the SB and the SX, just the wheels or is it a few other things? The problem I have is that the ones that I am finding are all in rough shape and parts are rare. Also since they are older models I am not sure how long they will last, which is why I am looking for a new model that will last me for years to come.

If John Deere still made the JX85 or even an updated version I would probably not be here right now asking which 21 I should get. It is a shame such a great machine is now gone.

6. LawnMastersTN

The SB has plastic wheels instead of aluminum and the height adjustment is not as tough also the deck isnt either. The engine, trans, and blade clutch are the same though. I have had my SX for about 11 years and it runs like it is new. Parts are not too bad everything can be ordered threw JD. The SB has about all the same parts it is just not listed as a "commercial" mower even though IMO it is. My grandmother has an SB and it is just about built as well. If you can find an SB that is alittle beat up for a good deal I'd get it and fix it up. I have loved mine, but if your set on a new one the WE80 & WE85 are great machines. My buddy has some and they are built just as well as the SX & SB. I would take my SX over the Exmark 21X anyday JMO

7. LawnMastersTN

Just saw that you said you have a JX75... Thats about the same as a 14SB just updated. Good machine

8. LawnMastersTN

9. Church2224

Nice find, Thanks! Only if I lived closer or in Pennsylvania I might consider picking it up.

The JX75 we have is probably the best mower I have ever used next to the old Snapper I had. My dad bought it when our old JA62 died (he never took care of it so the Briggs engine became trashed quickly). I love the blade clutch on it and it bags like no other. Plus the Kawasaki engine is phenomenal.

I am pretty set on the Exmark 21. It seems like the best choice and the dealer has been really helpful. I might look into the WE85 in the future, maybe as a back up. My only concern is that the handle looks a little weak on it, mainly looks to thin for the mower. Since you said your friend has one, how is the overall build and strength of it in person?

10. LawnMastersTN

I beleive that it is just as sturdy as my SX. It does have a kindof weird handle though but it makes it much more comfortable to mow with. Just wondering, if you have that JX75 why are you looking for another... why not use that one??