1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Joined- Need advice on Commercial 21s

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Church2224, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

It is my Father's mower. Plus I used it a lot when I was a teenager to cut neighbor's yards so it has seen better days.
  2. LawnMastersTN

LawnMastersTN LawnSite Senior Member

3. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Well said sir. This has been exactly my experience with the Exmark although mines a few years old before they called them "X series". I switched from Honda to the Exmark. I bought it because it was on sale and I couldn't pass up the deal. I haven't looked back since.

Yes, it is a little heavy, my only real complaint. The handle arrangement and blade engagement are the best I've used as is the height adjustment. The cut quality is unmatched in my experience. I bag most everything and I've never had a 21" bag as well as this machine. It just sucks up everything, even wet grass and packs the bag tight leaving a beautiful cut. I also really like the bag design and mounting. When you take it off to empty it the grass doesn't fall out.

I would say the Honda is a better mulching mower but for my needs it's Exmark hands down.
  4. Church2224

I was looking into the Toro 22198 as a mulching mower, maybe even contemplating getting that one and the Exmark, using the Exmark for bagging and the Toro for mulching. My dealer says they can get either one in, which is good.

F50, good to see that you are enjoying your Exmark, and that everyone else likes theirs as well. I am looking forward to getting mine, but due to some financial restraints I might have to wait a bit.
  5. You would do well if you bought the Honda. The trans not a problem. Bagging excellent. Plenty of power. Had a HRC for ten years and sold it to another LCO. Its bullet proof.
  6. dvgross

dvgross LawnSite Member

I broke the blade engagement handle off my JX75 today :cry:. Dropped it off at the JD dealership, and they are now selling Honda's because JD doesn't't make commercial 21's anymore. I need a 21" ASAP! HRC, or Exmark? Another dealership is also selling Y'Bravos, anyone know about these?
  7. Church2224

John Deere still makes two commercial 21s, the WE80 and WE85.

I would go for the Exmark, all signs seem to point to them and I will be getting one.
  8. Church2224

Bumping this up for another question.

I am debating between getting the BBC or not. Would spending the extra money for the BBC be worth it or should I just get the non BBC in case the BBC breaks? Some people say that the BBC has the potential to be problematic and cost a lot to repair.
  9. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

I think its a pretty invaluable option to have. I wouldnt buy one without
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. LawnMastersTN

LawnMastersTN LawnSite Senior Member

I have replaced the whole BBC on my 14sx once and they clutch once also, but I've had it for about 14 years.