Just landed a big job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by stxkyboy, Jun 17, 2004.

1. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

I just sold a job today that calls for 25 grand in materials. The guy wanted me to design some landscape for him and i came back with a redesign of his entire yard. He looked at the design and was like this is awesome and gave me the go ahead. Ill try to get some pics up. The best part...this means a bobcat:)

2. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

First off....congrats!

What was your total bid? Would you post a scan of the plans? I'd love to see designs from other parts of the country.

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you are getting your materials wholesale....

4. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

congrats, I've got a bobcat buying deal in the works too, hope everything works out for you.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just notice you are 18 yrs old. Has anyone looked at the bid to double check your estimate like your dad or ?. I don't know if I would have been confident of making a $25,000 bid at 18 without someone else checking how I came up with the $ amount.

Do you have General liability and property insurance to protect yourself if something goes wrong like running the bobcat into the garage door, breaking a water line while digging or breaking the irrigation system,etc.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Make sure to get the owner of the residence to pay for ALL material costs upfront as well. Id like to see what all you are installing. 25k of materials at a residence that already has some landscape is still a HUGE project.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

So basically you sold a $ 75,000.00 job. I base that on 1 third materials , 1 third labor and the final third as profit . Make sure you have a contract , a well written contract , covering everything from payment, guarentee , etc. The main thing is to cover your own butt. A job that size can make or break a small operation. Do not work off your money . Good luck

8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to say it but i dont see it? Is this a fish story?

9. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

Actually i am nineteen years old and no this isnt a fish story...here is a job i did last year http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50961

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50961

That job was about 40 in materials

The materials are 25 grand and labour is 25 per man hour.

I hate to break it to you guys but the landscaping biz is not rocket science anybody with the persistance determination and a little common sense could do this.

And yes I am getting all my materials wholesale. The client is a cardiologist ( my dads partner) with money to spend on his yard

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I Would have to disagree , the business end is the hardest part , I know a lot of great tradesmen that are lousy businessmen. They sell them selves short. First you are working for your dads partner , you didnt land the job , you were given the job. At $ 25.00 per hour all you are doing is making wages, no more. The mark up on the plants should be at least 50 per cent. In a previous post I stated that the job should be around $ 75,000 based on materials , that was assumung that the 25,000 was retail cost. Do you realize that at 25 an hour , based on a 40 hour week , thats only $ 1000.00 . Now if you are using equipment , you will be making less because it will be quicker .
    Your work may be good , dont sell yourself short by working by the hour on large projects. Since you are working for family and or friends of the family you probably feel compelled to work for less . There is a very old rule in business , never work for family or friends, and if you do charge them the same as anyone else.