just leave it in the mailbox

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 20, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

when you get a call on your answering machine, a request for an estimate, and they give you thier adress, and ask you to, "just leave me an estimate in the mailbox." do you just know it's a stroker? i just know it, everytime, when they don't want to speak with you, don't want to meet you, they are doing nothing more than price shopping. they are getting 50 different fools to come by and leave an estimate in the mailbox, and the one who is a dollar less gets the job. agree, or not?

2. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I agree, tell them to come by and get it out of your mailbox

3. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

I am apt to agree. I prefer to be able to size up the potential customer as they should size up the person doing the work for them. Also, how do you know that you are on the same page with the customer as to what the job entails? Would you hire a carpenter/plumber sight unseen solely based upon their quote?

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ha ha, i like it. i think that's my new policy, "free estimates, come by and pick it up....and grab me a 12 pack on the way."

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I can't be bothered....period.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If they don't have the time to talk with me its a waste of time to bid the job.

Mac

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you can't leave anything in a mailbox. it's a felony if the postal service wants to push it.

years ago i put a lot of flyers in mailboxes. I got a call from the postmaster. Had to pay postage on all the ones they found, and was told that if i did it again they would arrest me.

to answer the question, no i would not waste my time. they are tire kicking.

we get invitations to bid on large commercial properties all the time. We ask if they are looking for someone new. if they are not, and just getting bids, we are not interested.

8. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

It's the first sign of a bad customer. If they don't have time to talk with you they may not have time to do other important things like paying you.

9. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

I actually had one peeking out the curtains when I did go over. Called them on the phone from my cell and she said yes, I see you......I proceeded to tell her to look elsewhere.....I do not want that kind of customer.

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

if someone calls and tells me they won't be able to meet me and to just leave a quote I tell them to look elsewhere. I normally wont do business with someone I haven't met.