Just let me take care of it all

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by deere ZTR, Jun 17, 2003.

1. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Any thoughts on this would be great!! So don't hold back.

I had a lady contact me the other day her husband bought patio bricks to put in a patio and then decided he did not have the time so she emails me wanting me to give her a bid to install it she says its 17'x17' and she would get all of the materials. It also says she would like it on a rock and sand base. I'm not hot on the rock idea but the sand it a given but of course everyone knows the finer the sand the better. I'm going to try to talk her into just letting me use the bricks she has and I'll take care of the rest. But any thoughts on how to charge and or any good ways to approach the situation would be helpful

2. deere ZTR

from Midwest

come on people need to hear those opinions!!:alien:

3. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

You can charge T&M, time and materials, but the homeowner may not be hip to that.

As for using the rock..do it. Doesn't matter if your building it in Maine or Arizona it needs a solid base. Geographic location does dictate how many inches of base used.

The sand should actually be coarse. It's called concrete sand or general building sand. You definitely want to stay away from mason sand. It has to many fines.

If you do use the base and sand it should take you, working alone, 4-days to do the whole thing. 1 ton of sand will cover approximately 125 SF. 1 ton of base material will cover approximately 50 square feet. You'll also need sand to sweep into the joints, a couple hundred pounds. Then some type of edge restraint. Concrete mixed on site is the least expensive, but most labor intensive. The plastic of aluminum edge used with spike is the most expensive, but goes in faster.

Good luck,

Rex Mann

4. deere ZTR

from Midwest

Rex Man I was referring to using the fine sand to fill in the cracks after it was all done to sweep in and general purpose sand for the base. The rock as a base isn't so much a problem yes it makes a nice base but in for this particular case Its not all that important. What does every one think would be a fair price to charge just for my time to do it not having to supply or excavate or anything just assemble???

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I think you need to take a ICPI class! This job is a failure before it even starts. Listen to Rex......................

6. deere ZTR

from Midwest

Thanks for the help Paul could have just saved your self some typing and shut up.

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Your comment shows your professionalism, look back at a few of my posts going back to the beginning of LS. A search on Hardscaping/ Paving will show lots of post on how to do the job right.

Next the class (ICPI) will show that you don't use fine sand to sweep in to the joints, It won't lock the pavers.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

How much you want to bet that her husband bought the blocks and realized that the job will not be as easy as it seemed. Next, sounds like the lady will be the type who thinks she know it all and will be a pita. She wants to try and save money by buying the materials herself. I would pass on that one without blinking a eye.

9. deere ZTR

from Midwest

DlCS I could not agree more the thing is that she is some what a friend of the family and knows a lot of other friends of the family so It would look bad to turn it down completely and it would look bad to bid it sky high. Believe me I would rather do it all my self and take care of it from start to finish but I don't know what to do because of the complexity of the situation.

10. commercial lawn

commercial lawn LawnSite Member

she will probably want to talk to you the whole time you are trying to work.give her a price per hour and estimate about how long it will take u to do the job. also go to the internet for info on installing pavers.you will be able to find a lot of important info on laying the proper foundation