1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just like me to overprice......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Mar 13, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Well one of the first few estimates I gave this year was for $68/cut or $1500 for the season. It was to one of those rich guys who has everything.

A week later...........

Today I gave an estimate across the street from his house and did a double-take at his lawn. $68 is OVERPRICED! I think $56/cut is more reasonable. That's a big difference.

What should I do? I'd feel stupid as hell calling this rich guy and telling him "oh I had a 2nd look at your lawn"

I have devoted my business this year to charging above market, but I think this was overkill. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  2. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

have you heard from him about the price on the first bid?

3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

No, and I have a feeling I won't be hearing from him!
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him you just started a special of X% off for signing up now.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If the second guy signs up, offer the first guy a "discount" since you won't have to move the truck.
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Be honest. Call and tell him you were evaliating another home in the area and re evaluated his since you were there and are happy to inform him that you can offer a substantial price break if he is still interested in your services. The key here? BE HONEST!:usflag:
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Of course not always but....BEWARE of those "rich homeowners"....those are normally the ones that are only "rich" because they have every credit card maxed out and owe every bank in town. And guess what? When it comes bill time each month guess who "rich guy" pays first and last?
  8. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

If you get the guy across the street, then call the first guy and tell him you can give him a cheaper price since they will be grouped together, and that saves you time, which is true.
  9. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i so agree with that.. I had customers so many times with multiple benz's and bmw's in the drive way of a big beautiful house that i said to myself what am i doing wrong.. Then i find out I'm in a better financial position then them.. all they do is charge and charge they cant even pay the couple thousand dollar landscape bill but have 250,000 worth of cars and a million dollar home... I had one guy that every time i saw him he was dressed in a nice suit, had a rolex on and driving a benz, and get this always walking around the yard talking on two cell phones.. After a couple of thousand racked up he called me and said he wants his kid to start learning a lesson of what it is to work hard like he and i do so hes going to make his son cut the grass. So i still did the neighbors and when i wasn't busy i would go over their and see what was up with the money and he blamed it on his secretary's, wife , and book keepers. the thing was he would send me checks that were not signed, not made out to my business,parschal payments and such. Took him about 8 months to pay ..LOOSER...
  10. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

If your not worth a contract F them. I Go to the next one.
    Your human too you need the money just as bad as the next person.
    But the contract fixes most problems plus a lawyer you might know helps.
    Just outline your work in the contract you're see.